Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-09-2014, 10:32 AM

I quilt because I enjoy it,try to sell a few,but only give to family.My daughter had a friend call her up and asked for a quilt for free for a camping cabin so she would not have to taker her good blanket there-I was so insulted for my daughter-she said no.I think a home made quilt is way better than any store bought blanket anyway.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:54 AM

I have made a couple of rag quilts for my son's GF's Mom for her soon to be here grandson, but it was with the understanding that I am a beginner so they wont be perfect, she was fine with that and it made me some money for my "sewing machine savings", the Mom is expecting another grandbaby soon so I'm hoping to make a couple more for the savings account. But other than that "nope I'm just learning".
Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 AM

I am with Scissor Queen - no just because I don't want to thats why
Old 06-09-2014, 12:13 PM

My Mom always says, "Sure I'll make you a quilt. There is currently a 3 year waiting list. Call me in 3 years and I will give you a price quote and let you know how many more years it will take to get the quilt."

No one calls her. I love my Mom!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom View Post
My Mom always says, "Sure I'll make you a quilt. There is currently a 3 year waiting list. Call me in 3 years and I will give you a price quote and let you know how many more years it will take to get the quilt."

No one calls her. I love my Mom!
Ha! That's brilliant! People just don't know what's involved.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 PM

My suggestion is to have a nice long bucket list and show it to the one asking. Tell them you could add them to the bottom of the list but it would take at least a couple years before you see the halfway point on your current bucket list.

Also since you are retired remind them that you are retired full time and not taking on extra work.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Keep on saying No, No, and No. It does get easier. Enjoy your hobby.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 PM

I always say I am soo busy with UFO's but I have a card of a friend that quilts as a business.... That takes care of that. I do long arm quilt for a few friend with a disclaimer that I am still just practicing, haha.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I always say I am soo busy with UFO's but I have a card of a friend that quilts as a business.... That takes care of that. I do long arm quilt for a few friend with a disclaimer that I am still just practicing, haha.

I found that when I retired there were lots of demands on my time--everyone thought that I had nothing to do! I am in the quilting business now and charge enough that I'm keeping busy enough but still have time for my stuff. I've got fabric and working on Christmas tree skirts--was planning on trying to sell to local tree farm, but not unless I get paid for materials, PLUS time! Otherwise the extended family will all be getting tree skirts!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 PM

I was talking to my sister a week ago. Her son asked if I would make him a Ca. King quilt. They had a quote from another lady and they thought it sounded rIdiculous. I explained what they could figure the cost of fabric for both the top and bottom, batting, and the long armer to quilt. Then I said that doesn't cost anything I might want to charge. I don't think I will hear back from them. Then I asked what they had in mind for colors. Their colors will be red and pink with pigs. I really hope I don't hear back from them. It even surprises me the cost of materials when I start adding it up. Try telling them the cost of it and see if they still really want to go ahead with it. Also, don't be afraid to say no.