Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: just made great MEN'S CHRISTMAS GIFT

Blog Entries

Smile just made great MEN'S CHRISTMAS GIFT

couldn't think of a great man's gift, then it hit me!

I took denim and 2 layers of insulabrite put that between 2 layers of denim,( right side down 2 insulabrite right side up). stitched 1/2" in and then an x cut into the 1/2" seam allowance. I also took the heavy side seam cut it 6" and put a loop in the corner. ran it thru the wash twice,
    all men need a pot holder that's masculine, this was it, I made them 10 x 10 a masculine size. And they're great for the bar b q too. also took 5" sqs, did the same one layer of cotton batt between, and made coasters. manly enough for a cowboy! I recycled jeans and got 2 gifts from an old pair of pants.

Those are great ideas!! My hubby would love that for his BBQ ( and I would appreciate my good stuff not being taken outside) lol

Blog Entries
    I have a couple of nephews that live in their own home that I could make these for.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

That is such a great idea.. It is so hard to find patterns suitable for guys, thank you for sharing..

Blog Entries
    Any chance of a picture my mind was not working.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Good idea==thanks for sharing

That was a great clever idea !! Pictures Please !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Great idea!!!!

Blog Entries
    no camera srry. but it has ragged edges about 3/8" it gives it a masculine look, and 10 x 10 makes it good for a mans hand. if it gets yucky, no biggie, use old jeans if you have them, nice and thick too

also, no turning inside out and the older they get, the better they look

Blog Entries
    My mind doesn't work well today either. LOL!! Are these made like the rag quilts?
    Sherri

Blog Entries
    I did some up in denim for DH when he cooks outside. I used the butt pockets for one side so he can put his hand in the pocket to use the pot holder. His has a pieces of an old shrunk up wool blanket inside. The pot holder are over sized - maybe 8X10
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Can't wait to cut up my husbands jeans! Great idea.

Love this idea! What a neat gift to make for the guys (and gals) that love to barbecue.

If making potholders to use around the BBQ, don't do those raggedy seamed ones like the rag quilts with the seam on the outside. . Those are a fire waiting to happen. Wouldn't be good around the stove top either.

That is a great idea! I guess I too will get in gear and make some for the men on my lists!
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Lynnie that is cool! I think I will make some for my son and his roommates.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Gives me an idea. Since DH likes to BBq also and I have a mit that was made for him, I can make a couple more. Already have the size. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post

I took denim and 2 layers of insulabrite put that between 2 layers of denim,( right side down 2 insulabrite right side up). stitched 1/2" in and then an x cut into the 1/2" seam allowance. I also took the heavy side seam cut it 6" and put a loop in the corner. ran it thru the wash twice,
    all men need a pot holder that's masculine, this was it, I made them 10 x 10 a masculine size. And they're great for the bar b q too. also took 5" sqs, did the same one layer of cotton batt between, and made coasters. manly enough for a cowboy! I recycled jeans and got 2 gifts from an old pair of pants.

Cool

where the picture!
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

Blog Entries
    sorry no picture, but think of a raggedy quilt. the frayed edges are only about 1/4" inch soit looks masculine enough. never had them go on fire like someone suggested. no problems here. they make good mits too, and the back pocket thingy is great too, they can put their hand in the pocket. i'm sure you can google a picture. if not, it's easy to imagine

Blog Entries
    sorry no picture, but think of a raggedy quilt. the frayed edges are only about 1/4" inch soit looks masculine enough. never had them go on fire like someone suggested. no problems here. they make good mits too, and the back pocket thingy is great too, they can put their hand in the pocket. i'm sure you can google a picture. if not, it's easy to imagine
    Probably the front pocket would work just as well as the back. Use some imagination!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Rather than using 2 layers of denim, try using one layer of the silver teflon fabric (like they make ironing board covers from) on one side. My sister makes potholders by the hundreds (I'm not kidding -- I've got 100 sitting in two bags waiting to be given out at a retreat next March) and she uses the teflon fabric with cotton batting. I use two layers of fabric and the insulbright when I make table runners, which can then double as a long hot pad. My DH doesn't cook / grill / BBQ, but my son does. I may have to "borrow" your idea and all the little extras that have been suggested.

Blog Entries
    I used two layers, one on each side, just because I had it and it's thick. then two layers in between, to make it extra thick. You could use any variation you'd like. I just thought it was a great way to recycle and to get a great gift at the same time.

Lynnie, I love your idea and the way you made them. Gonna make some for hubby for Christmas. Thanks!!