Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is it just me... >

is it just me...

is it just me...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 AM

Shades of blue and yellow would be awesome! :-D
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

double
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Merchandising trends affect quilting patterns/fabrics. The store owners are in the selling business. Next year there will be new combinations of fabric designs and colors. Remind your local store owners of your preferences. After all, you won't buy it if it doesn't work for you.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
The green is a "muddy neutral." The theory is that it's muddiness is a foil for the other colors, makiing them brighter.
Mary Ellen Hopkins always used to say that "every quilt needs muddies."

Oh-oh, sounds like the quilt police !! I don't think I have any muddies in any of my quilts, guess I will be going to the Big House for a long time!
Design principles are hardly quilt police! LOL! :shock: :lol:
Surely just because one doesn't agree with someone or something doesn't mean the one they are differing with is wrong/'opinionated'/demanding/critical/judgemental or any other negative description.

A principle is a principle whether we use it or like it or agree with it. We can consciously use design principles in our quilts to help us choose colors or shapes or overall design, or we can 'wing it' on our personal emotions, which is what the largest majority of us do (me included). Either works for quilts that are loved.

Neither I nor Mary Ellen Hopkins are the quilt police. (Is she still alive now?) Absolutely no judgement was meant on my part; I just happen to like the way the idea was used.
Do I always do it in MY quilts? Nope.
Do I even always remember it? Nope.
Does that matter? Double NOPE! 8-)

Jan in VA
Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Yuk on the green!! Didn't like it when I was little either!
Pretty pattern, but would use a very different green.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
The green is a "muddy neutral." The theory is that it's muddiness is a foil for the other colors, makiing them brighter.
Mary Ellen Hopkins always used to say that "every quilt needs muddies."

Oh-oh, sounds like the quilt police !! I don't think I have any muddies in any of my quilts, guess I will be going to the Big House for a long time!
Design principles are hardly quilt police! LOL! :shock: :lol:
Surely just because one doesn't agree with someone or something doesn't mean the one they are differing with is wrong/'opinionated'/demanding/critical/judgemental or any other negative description.

A principle is a principle whether we use it or like it or agree with it. We can consciously use design principles in our quilts to help us choose colors or shapes or overall design, or we can 'wing it' on our personal emotions, which is what the largest majority of us do (me included). Either works for quilts that are loved.

Neither I nor Mary Ellen Hopkins are the quilt police. (Is she still alive now?) Absolutely no judgement was meant on my part; I just happen to like the way the idea was used.
Do I always do it in MY quilts? Nope.
Do I even always remember it? Nope.
Does that matter? Double NOPE! 8-)

Jan in VA
Design principles are valid, and it never hurts to be aware of what the underlying ones are. It DOES not mean that when someone offers up a principle that they are being "the quilt police". The pattern is nice, it is complex, would I make it for myself in those colors? Probably not but that is what makes quilting such fun, I can apply design principles from color theory and replace the colors with those that I might like better, WITH confidence. :-D
Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 AM

That's why I don't do kits. I like to choose the colors. I go through different cycles. Yellows for awhile, then greens, then browns, etc. As for the kit you showed, I don't really dislike the colors, they are kind of pretty but a different combination may have been prettier.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I like a muted yellowish green and purple. they actually complement each other on the color wheel. You do have to be cafeful of the shades though.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM

I like the colors but not the pattern so much. It makes my eyes cross. Too busy for my old eyes. :roll:
Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM

I lived thru the avacado and orange colors, HATED them. Never had the combination in my house and never would. I really don't like "Designers" telling me what colors I need. I know what I like and that is what I live with. I had blue and mauve long before it became stylish, and I still have those colors in my house. They make me feel good and that's the kind of colors I live with.