Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just needed to vent >

just needed to vent

just needed to vent

Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM

I actualy like that idea, very much. Thank you! Thank all of you...I don't want to just toss it..I just have to find a way to work around the mistakes lol I think next time I wont try to cut 500 + pieces in one night...
Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

You poor dear. 500 pieces in one night. I like the idea Patrice had. Those blocks are way to pretty to waste. Keep us posted.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM

I'm working on a Log Cabin and it's fundamentally much the same as those blocks. I'm not a perfect sewer and every single seam isn't 1/4", especially on something like a log cabin. I am squaring up 36 blocks right now and after measuring a bunch of them and finding they were all between 14" and 14 1/4", I decided on 14" and I am trimming all of them to that size.

On some blocks it doesn't really matter because you aren't matching seams. If it wasn't a log cabin, I would be much, much more careful of my seams.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:50 PM

All I can tell you is (don't give up) what is easy for some is hard for someone else. For those of us that have a habit of doing it our way--following a pattern is very hard for us. Hey I flunked Home Making in High School 1 semester because I wouldn't use a pattern or if I did I'd change it. I also would not use a receipe when cooking either. I learned to many things from my Grandmother and it wasn't the states quo, if you get my drift.
I do better by looking at something, then go make my own pattern or do it the way I want it done. As soon as I get the second block of the train quilt I'm doing for my grandson I'll try to get some pictures up so you can see what I mean. It's nothing like the quilt in the book.
Take a break from it for a few days then go back to it. It will come to you what it is you need to do.
Sorry about being so wordy here. I just get so upset when someone tells me thats not the right way to do it. If it works why not??? Here I am 61 years old and its kind of late to change now. :)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Hi Jamie--I understand your frustration too!! Been there, done that, did not need a T shirt to remind me of it.

When I am making a block that has a lot of seams in it (like yours, log cabin, courthouse steps, etc) I have learned to be really careful with my seams. If you are off even 1/16" on every seam, you can end up having a block that is off by an inch by the time you are finished!! So, I have learned (1) cut my strips a tiny bit wider and/or (2) take very scant seam allowances. I also press well and measure after every single row I sew on. That way I can make adjustments as I go. I know that these tips do not help you THIS time, but maybe can keep you from being so frustrated in the future.

Oh, and even knowing this, I still do not make "perfect" blocks! They are all still off by 1/8" or so anyway!!

I like Patrice's idea too. It just may be the solution you are looking for!!

Do not give up on your quilt--you have put too much time and energy into it and you need finish it. The fabrics are wonderful and it is going to be great!!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Jamie, I use 'coping strips' to even everything up to the same size. Just put one final row around each block that's a couple of inches wide and then square your blocks up to an uniform size. Ta-daa! Off set your blocks is another great way. You've got a great start to a beautiful quilt and look at all the lessons your learning! :wink:
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Don't dare give up. You've done well, and learned a few lessons along the way. I like Patrice's idea too. I might add another fabric to tie it all together. Probably the easiest way would be to add a fabric to the top and bottom of the block, sew the blocks together in long strips as suggested, then add a strip of the "new" fabric along each side of the long strip. In other words, a "ladder" effect, or staggered as suggested.

Lots of possibilities. :-)
ETA: Oops!! I see Yvonne already suggested this!! Great Minds Think Alike! I need to read page 2 before responding. :oops:
Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 AM

I'm guessing your blocks look like aprox 12 in blocks, measure the smallest and since you have many different colors and shapes cut all of them exactly the size I don't think it will show in the various patterns . Just sew the rest with careful seams and your can wait till finished and trim to match
Old 03-14-2009, 11:57 AM

I like Patrice's idea too. The colors and blocks are just to fun looking to give up. That is way to many pieces to cut out at one time! I'd never do that, for me that is just a disaster waiting to happen :( Go forward with Parice's idea and let go of your frustration. It may not end up as you intended but am sure it will turn out great in the end.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 AM

Thank you so much everyone...Im actualy free hand quilting it right now..so I can I will see how it turned out soon enough..I will post pictures when it is all done, so you guys can see too....Thanks again :)