Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Just ordered a Janome 6650

Just ordered a Janome 6650

So Costco is offering $200 off on the Janome 6650, which was just enough to make me bite. It arrives on Tuesday but I wish I had it today! ;-) Thus, I figured I'd post about it in the hopes that talking about it will be almost as good as having it, LOL.

Does anyone else have this machine? How is it?

I want something that I can really use hard so that my precious Pfaff 7550 can semi-retire ;-). I considered the 6700P, but had no desire to visit our local sewing store to shop for a machine which feels like going to a car dealership. My psyche just wasn't up for that, so I hope that this machine will suit me almost as well.

Thanks for any info, good or bad about your experience with this machine. And if you tried this machine, but opted for the 6700, how much will I be missing out by not going that route? ;-). I do see the feature upgrades on the 6700. The only thing I can't pick and choose and buy is dual feed, but I heard that the Janome dual feed isn't as good as the Pfaff IDT. This will be a FMQ machine, so dual feed probably won't play a role, but we'll see how much I miss it.

Thanks.
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy your new sewing machine.
    I think Janome make the best sewing machines.

I think I got a good deal too! And I've heard what you've said more than once. If nothing else they may have the best "bang for the buck!"

I have the 6500 and love it and yours has even more features, so I'm sure you will be thrilled with it, too!
    You can always put the walking foot on when you need it.

Watson

I had a 6600 which is comparable to this machine and I also used to have Pfaffs. This will be a great machine for you. My 6600 took anything I threw at it. It was great on stitching through thick seams - like purses. I seldom ever used the walking foot - I just decreased the pressure on the presser foot with the knob on top of the machine. I did love my Pfaffs, but I miss my 6600. I did all my sewing on it for 11 years in my quilt shop. I sold it when I sold the shop and now sew on a 9900.
    I hope you love your new machine!

I have had my 6600 since 2005 and never regretted the decision to buy it once!

I would have the same expectation of the 6500 so you have chosen well as far as i am concerned! You get a lot of “bang for your buck” with Janomes - and the bigger machines like the 6500 and 6600 are real workhorses that wont let you down as long as you do your regular cleaning each time you use it.

Although i’m sure its not “recommended”, i have never yet had occasion to have professional maintenance done on mine. I have had no problems, but if i do i know where to take it locally to get it looked at if necessary - that means a lot to me! Congrats on a great machine!

I went from the 6500 to the 6600 Janome to get the 3" extra harp space as I do all my quilts FMQ. Love those Janomes.

I had no idea Costco sells machines but I should have since they sell everything!
    I've never used a Janome but hear loads of great things about them.
    I love that store!!!

Blog Entries
    Have had that machine for a few years now and its a workhorse. The only issue I ever had was having to replace the automatic needle treader. ou made a good choice

Please come back to give your opinion on this machine.. I'm interested for the harp space and the fact that it fits my janome "Universal" table so it could be recessed. I'd not be looking at all but for the very attractive price.. for me, the 6700 is lovely but over-kill... I think of buying a brother 1500 but it would not fit my table and that is important to success! the new HD9 is nice but pricey. Apparently the motor size is less than the 6700 but that doesn't necessarily mean it would noticeably effect power? Would love to hear thoughts on that from 6650 users.
    mea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy your new sewing machine.
    I think Janome make the best sewing machines.
    I too think Janome makes one of the best machines. I have 2 Janome machines and love them to life! One needs to go in now for a good cleaning and tune up. I have probably worked it close to death. I used it everyday for more than 11 years and it is still going strong. When I bought a Brother Embroidery machine I put it aside. Now I go between machines making sure to use each one from time to time to insure they know they are much loved.

SusieQOH: Costco has sold many machines over the years, mostly Janomes. This is the first time they've had a machine that I couldn't resist. I think they sold the 6500 (which seemed really nice but not quite what I wanted) before picking up the 6650 and they have the 9900. Yes, I love Costco. I priced out some of the options I would have gotten with the 6700 that I'll have to buy with the 6650. Considering Costco's return policy, it's worth it to just get this machine and the accessories. If the machine dies and I have to return it, I can easily sell the accessories. And most of the sewing stores here want a "trade-in" to give you the best price. My ladies already have a home, thank you ;-). I'm silly about my loyalty to my sewing machines, I know, but I already had a conversation with my Pfaff 7550, telling her that she isn't being set aside, just doesn't have to work as hard, LOL.

feffertim: Thanks for the feedback. What is it about these machines and their needle threaders? They make them so complicated and they always seem to fail. Sigh.

mea12: The Costco $200 off deal is over, unfortunately. They may offer it again sometime though. I hope so. I will keep you posted on how I like it.

juliasb: You sound a little like me in your loyalty and sentimentality toward sewing machines (probably not as bad as me, ha-ha.). When they perform well, they certainly feel like friends that deserve friendship in return! ;-).

One more day until it's here!

Teresa, I'm so excited for you! Now please tell me not to look there bc I don't need another machine

By accident I ended up with a Janome machine about 15 years ago and have never regretted it. Even now I discover little things about the machine that I didn't know existed. Just had to add my two cents and tell you you will love every day with your new buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Teresa, I'm so excited for you! Now please tell me not to look there bc I don't need another machine
    If it helps at all, the sale is over ;-)....although sometimes you can still get the sale price in your cart for another day past the sale date.....(no affil).

I hope I'll love it! I think I will. The throat space alone will be refreshing.

Congratulations on your new sewing machine purchase. I have a Janome 6600 and love it. I bought it used and have been sewing on it for about 9 years and no problems at all. I do have it maintained about every 18 months and it works so good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Congratulations on your new sewing machine purchase. I have a Janome 6600 and love it. I bought it used and have been sewing on it for about 9 years and no problems at all. I do have it maintained about every 18 months and it works so good for me.
    Thank you! Waiting on the UPS person now. He or she cannot come soon enough!!!!! ;-).

Hopefully this will be a good machine for me.

Love my Janome 6600. Almost 7 years old no issues. Sew every day and on all kinds of projects. Initially bought it when it was recommended by a woman who owned a quilt shop near me and ran her "stable" of Janome's everyday for years without issue.

Got it! It's big and beautiful and has thread issues when I'm quilting. I need to start fresh tomorrow and figure out if I can fix the problems.

Teresa, I bought a new machine in May. I went to Youtube for tutorials. I am a better visual leaner and it really helped me get to know my machine. Just a thought for you.
    I still go back to it a lot. My machine came with lessons but since my granddaughter was born we keep running to Virginia to see her so I haven't committed to that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
    Got it! It's big and beautiful and has thread issues when I'm quilting. I need to start fresh tomorrow and figure out if I can fix the problems.
    Are you using the purple tip needle provided with your machine?
    It can make a big difference.