Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just shoot me the next time I select black as a background color.... >

Just shoot me the next time I select black as a background color....

Just shoot me the next time I select black as a background color....

Old 08-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

It may be a lot of aggravation but it will be abouley beautiful when finished.

I have have light LED lights in a ceiling fan (4). I have a floor lamp with 5 LED bulbs that sets by my machine. I also don't sew with black thread at night. Even quilting with black thread disappears at times during the day.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:20 PM

I can't see black very well myself, so I keep piece of cheap white chalk next to my machine when working with black, that I smudge (I rub my finger on the chalk, them smudge gently on the edge so no distortion) so I can see them to line them up before I stitch. I wash all of my quilts before gifting, so it washes away.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 PM

I use black a lot. Love the look but it can be very difficult to see. I'm old, cataracts removed and I just don't see as well as I used to. My 2 best friends besides light are plain white chalk on the edge of the fabric and/or a piece of very cheap thin white tissue paper underneath. You will have to remove the tissue paper but you will see the edges with it there. It tears off so easy I don't mind. I usually just cut the whole pack from the dollar store in 1.5-2 in strips and use as is. I put a strip underneath just as I start to sew an it's like magic, now I can see the edge of both pieces of fabric. You need to have the tissue hang over the edge for it to work. If this doesn't make sense I could try and take a picture for you. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 AM

Your cats are cute! I LOVE black backgrounds. The make all the colors stand out.

I make a quilt this last year sewing black to black with black on a black sewing machine. Wow! I put a piece of tape on the bed of the sewing machine. That helped tremendously with the black thing. The quilt got 4th place from a judge. My biggest problem with black is keeping all the lint and thread pieces under control. I had to go over the entire thing with a lint roller and still missed some.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:20 AM

Thanks everyone! I tried several suggestions, and it is the chalk that works best for me. If I put it on the edge of the bottom piece of black, I can see where to line up my top piece of black.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think my sanity is saved!!!

Dina
Old 08-05-2017, 06:24 AM

I admire your patience. I guess a lot of us struggle with black fabric. The struggle is usually worth it, as black background quilts are so attractive.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:20 PM

I don't have one--yet, but an Ott Light is a good investment. A friend showed me hers, and she swore by it for quilting. You have to get them at quilt shops. Maybe look it up online to save time and steps.

I love the cats!! We have a Grey Tabby and he is so terribly spoiled. He is a perfect cat; goes outside to do his bathroom jobs, keeps the mice population down for us, and loves to be inside when it storms and is cold. How much could we want in a cat!!??
Mariah
Old 08-05-2017, 02:56 PM

All the above, but I LOVE the cats (I'm NOT a cat person - but my sister is - I bet she'd love this one) and I love how the cats tails are entwined. VERY cute.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:19 PM

Hi there, I too have a massive problem lining up black and getting worse! trust me to be on a black "period" . I am all hyped up to start on a much coverted " labyrinth walk" quilt with a black background. I am almost too scared to start it ... oh woe is me! I will also try a couple of the suggestions in this post. Good luck
Old 08-07-2017, 05:52 AM

I just won first place in large quilts with my "black background" double windmill in our local quilt show. It was viewer's-choice voting and not a large show.