Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels).....

Banned
    Many of you are going to cringe but I use a sharpie right on the back of the quilt. My initials and year.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I haven't been quilting long (2 rag quilts, 2 pieced quilts), and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about them. My brother and his small son received the rag quilts, my firsts. Now my brother doesn't know anything about quilts or quilting, but he chewed me out for not labeling it! He wanted visual reminder that his absolutely favorite sister (I'm sure that's how he feels about me, lol) made it for him. Fortunately, I had sneaked my initials and date into one of the blocks.

I don't expect anything I make to live long enough to be passed down. The quality of my work will never be heirloom, I can't imagine anyone being impressed enough by my work to hunt me down posthumously. So whatever I end up doing will be as unobtrusive as I can make it. I kind of like the idea of a hidden signature that the recipient knows about, but a casual glance would miss entirely.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Labeling is very important to me, years ago, in the early 80's, our girls were deep into softball, National titles were theirs...usually before a tournament, I would serve breakfast to the team..once I put on a white heavy tablecloth and put pens on the table..asking each one to sign, add a note, and date it..they did, next year it was repeated with the same tablecloth...what fun..now, girls are grown, but I still have the tablecloth and have turned it into a great quilt for my daughter..it brought her such smiles, some of the team are still connected..and this make it even nicer...could do this for any occassion...Now I will start this tradition with my Granddaughter is that is softball crazy...

Great Idea and with my new Baby Lock Ellisimo I can get my machine to embroider my signature. Will start practicing. I too like to see that date on a quilt.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

My hand writing is so horrible. I hate writing anything by hand. Although I do understand what you are saying. and I believe that a hand signed quilt would be more personal. But I would also have to have it printed or no one could read it.

If you don't like how you write, write it anyway. Then print it also. A written signature is very special. Just pretend you are a doctor, like someone else said on this thread.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    If you don't like how you write, write it anyway. Then print it also. A written signature is very special. Just pretend you are a doctor, like someone else said on this thread.
    I have been accused of being a doctor, when people see my signature. ;-)
    Last edited by yorkie luv; 04-23-2013 at 05:53 AM.

When all the work done in the quilt is mine, I sign it somewhere. Usually initials and the date completed. I try to place it inconspicuously and simply hand sew with small stitches in the top only or quilt it through all layers. In addition, it may carry a label on the back. I thought of this when I started making charity quilts where a group name is on the back. My identifying marks are not easily found. At one of our group meetings I told fellow quilters about this and they had not noticed the signings. It is fun for me to do this. I emphasize that if anyone else has helped with the quilt I don't do it.

I made a quilt for a family auction and didn't put a label on it. The winner of the quilt brought it to me and asked me to sign it. Luckily, I had a black Sharpie in my purse, so I put my name, the date, and the event, but I hated writing on the quilt. So ever since, I have put labels on my quilts. I will take a piece of muslin and bind it with the fabrics I used in the blocks. I also sew the label into the corner when I am sewing the binding on, so two sides are machined in and two sides are hand sewn. I don't sell my quilts. Never have, never will. Each recipient knows that the quilt is special, just for him or her. If I gave a quilt to someone and they gave it away, I would be heartbroken, unless it went to a son or daughter who would treasure it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I'm probably alone on this, but I don't put any label on my quilts. If the person I give it to passes it along to someone else down the road, someone who doesn't know me, I don't want that person to see my name or the name of the person for whom it was made. The quilt becomes that person's quilt. I guess for me the quilt takes on a life of its own and makes its journey, and I don't feel any need to be part of that...

Just me!
    I am with you on this one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    I hated writing on the quilt.
    Somewhat off topic.... Can you imagine how Daphne Greig felt when she traveled from Canada to the Quilt Market in Minneapolis and the US Customs agent forced her to write "sample" IN PEN on all of her display quilts.

http://daphnegreig.blogspot.com/2010...et-report.html
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-23-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie luv View Post
    My hand writing is so horrible. I hate writing anything by hand. Although I do understand what you are saying. and I believe that a hand signed quilt would be more personal. But I would also have to have it printed or no one could read it.
    I print out what I want to say on computer (except signature, I do use my signature as I have recently found mamy of my family), transfer to fabric, then embrioder.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    I try very hard to label my quilts, even the ones I make for myself, although I sometimes forget. However, when I am making a quilt for a family reunion, I make sure I label the quilt with my name, city, state and date of the reunion. I like to think that this is my way of being remembered but I also get a great deal of joy and satisfaction in making the quilts.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I'm probably alone on this, but I don't put any label on my quilts. If the person I give it to passes it along to someone else down the road, someone who doesn't know me, I don't want that person to see my name or the name of the person for whom it was made. The quilt becomes that person's quilt. I guess for me the quilt takes on a life of its own and makes its journey, and I don't feel any need to be part of that...

Just me!
    I agree with you - I don't put labels on 99% of my quilts. They are almost always gifted to others and I really expect them to be used and washed, so they will probably be worn out before they come close to "antique." I don't make any "decorative" quilts - my personal feeling is that if I spend all that time making a quilt - I want myself or someone else to enjoy snuggling it it on a daily basis - not pack it away for safe keeping and preservation. Even the most intricate/labor intensive quilts don't have quite the same appeal to me if it can't be used. This is not to say that I wouldn't want someone to take good care of a quilt that I made for them - I do want that - but not to the extent that the quilt isn't used all the time.

For example, I made my daughter a quilt that had a great amount of work in it, for her bed. Her room gets alot of morning sun and curtains and bedding fade. But, I love walking into her room and seeing it on her bed - she loves it alot as well and loves having it. The "Mom, I love my quilt" that I frequently get from her is a wonderful thing. The quilt will probably be ragged and faded by the time she goes off to college, but we will still have the happy memories of using it. That's more important to me than if she decided to save it for her future children. You never know what the future holds - so not using lovely or special things could become a major regret.

I do however, think a quilt should be labeled if you are expecting it to be handed down for generations to come/being donated to a museum/going into some type of quilt collection. It's always nice to know the history of these quilts.

I hadn't thought about it that way. I still like an embroidered label because it lasts longer but maybe I'll start signing it so my ancestors can see my actual signature.

Blog Entries
    I almost always add a label. I never thought about adding my signature. Neat idea. I do add my name and date. When I make postcards and gift cards by machine I sometimes write on them with a Frixion pen, then machine stitch over it. I then iron it and the pen disappears.. I guess the machine stitchers(like me) could do it this way.

I'm a new quilter and did not appreciate the importance of a label until my son & daughter-in-law moved into my grandparent's house and found 2 quilts stored in a closet made by my grandmother, her mother and her aunt. Their names and dates were sewn into the quilt. One was from 1894, the other from 1916 (the year before my grandmother married). Without the information on the quilt I would have never known the makers or dates and all that history would have been gone forever. And I hope my great-grandmother would be pleased that her great-great grandchildren would receive the gift of her handiwork 100+ years later.

Blog Entries
    Much food for thought. Thanks.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I always put a label on my quilts, but never thought of a signature. What a great idea. It might not mean much now, but should the quilt survive 100 yrs., I think those who possess it would be happy to have not only the information from the label, but also a signature to 'authenticate' it. When I see old quilts, I would love to know the history, and enjoy imagining what the quilter was like, how she lived, the occasion for making the quilt. I will never be famous, but with my quilts, I will be known by somebody in the distant future. That feels kind of good.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

I don't want to preserve my bad hand writing, but I'm glad there are people who do as you do. These days, many kids are not being taught cursive writing in school, so it's getting to be a lost art.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Power Poster
    I usually make a label on the computer since the pens are not permanent.

I just now started doing labels for my personal quilts.

The charity ones will still have one that gives the name of our organization. I've had fun doing the personal ones with embroidered labels--just made the first one a couple of weeks ago and spent some time yesterday making one. However, I'm not very interested in doing a signature at this point. That may change, however, as I learn to use embird better and better and may figure out how to digitize the signature. I'm not terribly interested in using either a pen (they fade as a quilt that was given to us had verses written in a special ink pen and with each washing the words got lighter and lighter) or t shirt transfers (they come off). Neither am I interested in hand embroidering a label--but if I can figure out how to digitize my sig--it is definitely something to remember.

I usually put an embroidered label on my quilts but I really like the idea of the signature on it. I think I'll start adding one. Thanks for the idea.

Mom3 - this is such a good point. Thank you for bringing it up and thanks for the youtube link.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Somewhat off topic.... Can you imagine how Daphne Greig felt when she traveled from Canada to the Quilt Market in Minneapolis and the US Customs agent forced her to write "sample" IN PEN on all of her display quilts.

http://daphnegreig.blogspot.com/2010...et-report.html
    Yes, I saw the pictures and was horrified.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast