Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just thought you would want to know >

Just thought you would want to know

Just thought you would want to know

Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 AM

I like to use YLI lengerie/bobbin thread in the bobbin when sewing with metallics. I think there is a little give in it and therefore doesn't "cut" the fragile metallics. Love using Sulky Sliver for embellishing gift items and always use the YLI for this thread.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I still buy the older Coats when I can find it. Recently found a shop that was going out of business and bought al they had for 25 cents a spool. I find the older thread ok but not the newer.
I agree. C&C is fine with me, esp. the older cotton wound around a core of polyester. I only had problems with one color - I think it was "Faun", a great "neutral" - and it shredded in hand sewing. (could have been my needle?). The newer poly wound around a core of poly is doing okay so far, but seems hard, like it's too strong for my sewing projects. I do sort of worry that it might "cut" the fabrics eventually with wear and tear; but my quilting is utility.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 AM

Because it is just not good thread...sorry but true. I heard a lecture about thread and she said that it is a short staple cotton which makes for lots of "fuzzies".
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 AM

c and c thread will NOT work in my embridery machine so I don't buy this at all. I don't use sulky either. To quilt I use gutterman when it's on sale
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 AM

I have a Kenmore/Janome and I agree; it so isn't picky about they types of thread. I recently took a class using rayon thread and almost all of the class had to use a micromex needle because it kept breaking and causing nest in thier quilts; not my machine I used the same needle I use for all things. My favorite thread is Aurofil; especially when I'm doing piecing where the seam allowance is very important. It's 2 ply and I couldn't believe the difference that one extra thread made in my blocks plus the Viking dealer said it was the best to use in my mega quilter.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 AM

I've been using the c&c thread in the Brother machine and have never had any problems with it (it has a lot of lint on it, though). I just purchased a Pfaff and was told not to use c&c in it because of the lint, so bought some mettler thread - but that is soo expensive - paid $6 for a small spool and thurned out it was polyster. Worked fine, but don't like the price. Ordered some thread at Connecting Threads - really like the price $2.50 for 1200 yds of thread! I just started sewing with it and I'll see how it goes.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Dkm

There is nothing like Bottom Line for the bobbin. You will be surprised about how much it will hold, because the thread is fine but strong. It's the only thing I use.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
I use bobbin thread of one kind or another when I embroider. I don't care for the way a thicker thread makes it feel when it's done. Have you tried one of the many finer threads made for this?
I most definitely will be trying something different now. Like you on some things I don't care for the thicker thread, it somehow just doesn't look right.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM

My Pfaff does not like it when I use coats and clark. I tried Connecting Threads and both we like it. You can't beat the price. We both like Guiterman also. A little more pricey than Connecting Threads though. I have heard that Superior is great. I will probably try it next.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 AM

I have never been able to use it in any of my embroidery machines.
Use strictly Janome bobbin thread and love it.