Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just when I think I'm ready

You definitely are not pestering. Sometimes I ask a question I think is dumb and then others tell me they were afraid to ask it, so just ask it. You are helping others and that's what we should be all about, right?

Also, don't forget that each of us here was once in your spot so you have a lot of comaraderie.

For something real small you want a smaller stitch length. Normally I use 2.5

Blog Entries
    I use 2.5 for piecing and 2.0 for paper piecing (to make removing the paper piecing easier) and 12 per inch for the normal quilting and 15 per inch for a tiny stippling area of quilting. Have fun....

I use a 2 for piecing, and 2.5 for quilting

Mine defaults to 2.4 and that's where I leave it.

Blog Entries
    For the actual quilting I use between 10 and 12 stitches per inch. My machine will go up to about 26 stitches per inch, and I can't imagine using that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    You definitely are not pestering. Sometimes I ask a question I think is dumb and then others tell me they were afraid to ask it, so just ask it. You are helping others and that's what we should be all about, right?

Also, don't forget that each of us here was once in your spot so you have a lot of comaraderie.
    Thank you for the nice reply. :)

No way - I always learn something new on this board - and always more for something I thought about at the time, but forgot by time I get back on the computer, thanks for asking for all of us newbies!

mine is set at 2.5

Not too closely together or you perforate the material and it will rip easily. Keep it at about 2.5 and you should not have too many problems. Choose a higher number (4+) if you are basting or gathering.

I use 2.5 which is standard.

Blog Entries
    If you are FMQ the stitches are made as to how slow you move the fabric and how fast you are running the machine. For straight quilting I do 3 to 3.5. Hope this helps :-D

You might want to go a little longer when you first start out, that way if you have to rip out a seam it is a little easier

Blog Entries
    How else are you going to learn if you don't ask questions. Everyone here is willing to help you out, so don't be afraid to ask. If you are new to sewing how would you know?
    I think my machine setting is for 10-12 per inch at the moment, but it varies with the fabric and exactly just what I am quilting. Remember there are really no dumb questions here or anywhere else. Asking is how everyone learns.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical
    Just when I think I'm ready to start quilting, there is another question. How long/short should the machine stitch be when quilting? I hope I'm not pestering anyone with all of my questions. Sometimes I think I should just know the answers myself, but I don't. :)

Thanks again.
    Sweetie, If you knew all the answers, we would not call you Tropical, we would call you GOD. Lighten up on yourself. We will answer anything you ask. Always. {HUGS}

Are you piecing or quilting? I piece at 12 stitches per inch, but quilt anywhere from 12-18 stitches per inch, depending on the design I'm quilting...micro gets more stitches per inch. Gotta love a great stitch regulator!

As I read the answers here, I'm totally confused...I haven't a clue what 2.5 is :lol: Amazing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    If you stitch a line..... measure off an inch of the stitching and count the stitches. Many newer machines have numbers that show stitch length as 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 but how many stitches would that be? The older machines will say how many stitches it makes for a 1 inch measurement.

I use 12-15 stitches per inch for my quilting. 12 is the standard for regular sew...........
    Dear Fellow Quilters,
    Is it possible that even different machine brands have different setting numbers??? "Nana-up-North" explained it correctly in the quote above... So, my question: Is a 2.5 on a Bernina the same as a 2.5 on a Brothers or another machine?

We need to be talking apples-to-apples when we discuss length of stitches... so, get out your rulers (and maybe magnifying glasses - heehee) and measure the number of stitches per inch...maybe even listing your brand machine might help. Thanks!!!!

I use Singer machines at the 12-15 stitches-per-inch setting. For paper piecing, I use at least 15.

Blog Entries
    Count the number of stitches per inch AT your regular setting that your machine makes and set your priority according to that, either wider or longer.

No question is pestering. I'm sure you're not the only one who wonders this (me, included). Thanks for asking the question. Thanks for all the opinions.

I found a formula on a blog today to figure out the number of stitches per inch when your machine only shows you the stitch LENGTH (1.0, 2.5, etc.). Those length numbers are in millimeters. There are 25.4 mm in an inch. If you want 10 stitches to the inch, divide 25.4 by 10 = 2.5!
    15 stitches to the inch = 1.7 in millimeters, 3.0mm setting on your machine is about 8.5 stitches to the inch. I use 2.5 for piecing, 3.0 for quilting, 2.0 for paper piecing. So I am using 10 stitches to the inch for piecing, 8.5 for quilting (I like the look of the larger stitch), and about 13 stitches to the inch for paper piecing.

I use 8 stitches per inch for piecing. It is plenty for holding everything together but easy to rip out if I make a mistake. Plus - it is what I was taught by 2 different teachers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    I use 8 stitches per inch for piecing. It is plenty for holding everything together but easy to rip out if I make a mistake. Plus - it is what I was taught by 2 different teachers.
    Thank you that sounds great. I don't have to do it so much anymore, but often enough to want it to be easy. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cathleen Colson
    I found a formula on a blog today to figure out the number of stitches per inch when your machine only shows you the stitch LENGTH (1.0, 2.5, etc.). Those length numbers are in millimeters. There are 25.4 mm in an inch. If you want 10 stitches to the inch, divide 25.4 by 10 = 2.5!
    15 stitches to the inch = 1.7 in millimeters, 3.0mm setting on your machine is about 8.5 stitches to the inch. I use 2.5 for piecing, 3.0 for quilting, 2.0 for paper piecing. So I am using 10 stitches to the inch for piecing, 8.5 for quilting (I like the look of the larger stitch), and about 13 stitches to the inch for paper piecing.
    I love having info like this. Thanks for the share.

Are you machine quilting or working on a top?

Power Poster
    I use about 12 stitches per inch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast