Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window! >

think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window!

think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Angry think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window!

Last year I made a quilt..and gave it to a dear friend. I loved the pattern so much so I decided to make myself one. Only much bigger. OMG!!! You will never believe the problems I have had. I made several blocks wrong...okay..fixed those. Then after putting all the borders on..it was ten inches longer on one side than the other. Went to my LQS and they pointed out that I didn't measure the sides. (True, enough). So I took off all three borders and started again. Well...it still has a couple of extra inches..because I couldn't fit in on with tucks, otherwise. Finally got it done. whew!! Then one night I took it down to the dining hall in my bldg. and ever so quietly...scooted three long tables together..and proceeded to glue everything together with Elmer's school glue and my iron. Have done this many times before. Works wonderfully. But evidently you are supposed to start quilting right away. I let it sit about two weeks. Yep! The glue had slipped and dried several very large wrinkle into the fabric. I actually screamed. Now I have to take it to a commercial laundry and wash the glue out so I can do it all over again. (BTW...honey...don't close that window.)
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes a quilt will fight you from start to finish. You may be able to lay a wet face cloth on the stuck spots for a bit and then separate the stuck spots. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I agree some quilts are like a rude coworker from beginning to end. These I let go into the UFO pile.

For me, life is too short........

Jan in VA
Old 04-09-2015, 04:21 PM

First....LOVE your signature.

Second...remember the saying ....."that which does not kill us makes us stronger"......
and i second Tartan....can you just dampen the wrinkled section (and a pathway to it from the edge) and let that dry and re-glue??

GOOD LUCK !!! Don't let that dang quilt beatcha !!!!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:30 PM

So sorry for your frustrations on this one! Would it help to set it aside awhile and work on something else? Or if by now you have decided you don't like this pattern that much after all, cut it up for other scrappy quilts.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 PM

I am sorry that making the pattern for yourself did not go well. Why does frustration have to be linked to quilting??
Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Just look at all the things you learned though. Not all quilt projects are that giving. I wonder if there is a different way to get the layers resorted than washing. That might bring in a whole new layer of headache.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:24 AM

i find there is a lesson to be learned in all we do....it's gonna be alright....it'll work out...
Old 04-10-2015, 03:42 AM

Don't let one bad experience discourage you. Probably you see by now that using a pattern as it is presented by the designer is one thing and changing it is quite another. As for getting the layers apart after using Elmer's school glue I would soak those areas in a shallow pan of water and gently loosen them and re-glue them. I would be afraid that putting it in a commercial size washer would destroy the integrity of all the layers-especially the batting. Relegating it to the UFO pile only postpones doing what needs to be done.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:49 AM

Quilts and computers can be the most frustrating things in the world and yet, what would we do without them?