Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready to throw my machine out the window! >

Ready to throw my machine out the window!

Ready to throw my machine out the window!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM

I won't, I've taken some time to calm down, but still. Grrrrrrrrr. I took my Kenmore in to be fixed about two weeks ago. It was skipping stitches at first, then no stitches at all. I tried all the usual things, to no avail. So I took it in to my local guy. When I picked it up, he had the little proof that it works cloth on it and everything looked fine. I have used it very very little since I got it back. Mostly using my other machine. So anyway, tonight I was setting up my new-to-me Handi Quilter. After a trip to the Home Depot to get stuff my hubby decided we needed to make the frame sturdy and, well, ya know.

I had to lengthen the leaders and make one whole new one. No problem. The first two sewed up fine, then I ran out of bobbin thread. I put in a new bobbin, went to sew, and it is back doing the same thing it did before I took it in. I changed bobbins, rethreaded, no luck.
So now what? take it back in? I know that is what I probably have to do, but I sure hate to do it. Any other ideas?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

How frustrating for you. It sounds like something isn't right with the bobbin. Is it the same one you were using when it worked?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Yes, I thinks so. Same type anyway. I was planning to use this machine on the frame, so that adds to the frustration I guess. I have other machines I could use, I suppose, but I still need this machine to work.

I will put thread on the bobbin that I am sure I was using when it was working and go from there I guess.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

If you are using plastic bobbins, check them for burrs. Even a tiny one will throw some machines off :D:D:D
Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM

I was going to ask the same question. Are you sure you have the right bobbin?

I pulled out a bobbin the other day that I swear was for my Pfaff. It doesn't fit correctly. I got out my calipers, measured, and realized that the diameter was correct but the thickness was incorrect. I suspect that somehow I got a bobbin from someone else's machine mixed in with mine from a class. I don't own any machines other than Pfaff. Very frustrating. I wonder who has MY bobbin and if they think their machine is broken.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Have done the same, didn't use for a couple of months, finally, rethreaded realized one bobbin, rounded one flat, both clear, now know what to watch for :)
Old 11-04-2010, 09:07 PM

My bobbins look alike and can easily be grabbed for the wrong machine. I do notice that the Singer bobbin is smooth all over, the Brother bobbin has a tiny round ridge on top of one side. So that is easy to find...okay, I'll admit that i thought something was seriously wrong with my Brother..but with the right bobbins he works nicely.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Take it back in, hopefully the repair guy warranties his work, mine does for 6 months, so there's no charge if you have to bring it back.

I have a Kenmore Elite that I'd never had serviced for like 20 years. A couple of things were annoying me so decided it was time. When I got it back, suddenly the tension seemed to be off so I took it back. What we discovered is, I had worn out the plastic foot. I didn't know you could wear out the feet, guess that's why the metal ones are so popular. So, a new plastic foot and she's humming along!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Good ideas about the bobbin...also, make sure that the table top you have the machine setting on is very level. I had problems as you after using my machine for sometime. I checked the level of the top and found it slightly off so a correction was made. (sewing table on carpeting, that was one problem, earth quakes here can cause house to be slightly off) lots of little movements can cause your machine to become out of aline. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Sounds like the timming is off. Check your needles, change the needle frequently, if you are going to use the machine on a frame. Also the thread your using and the type of needle should mathch. Ask your repair man witch type of needle you should use for the type of thread your using.
I am a retired profesional seamstress who used a industrial quilting machine also. Are you using the machine on your quilting frame yet?
Happy Quilting!!!