Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window! >

think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window!

think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I agree with purpledog. I think putting it in a washing machine will cause you untold amounts of grief. It could turn your top into a mangled mess and render your batting un-usable. If soaking the wrinkled bits in a shallow pan doesn't work, soak it in the tub. If you don't have a tub, lay it out as much as you can in the shower stall and turn the shower on it. Once completely wet, let it drain then gently pull the layers apart and find someplace flat you can let them dry. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Everyone has had one of those! If you want to persevere I would NOT take the sandwich to a commercial laundry. the washers (well any washer) is WAY too rough on an unquilted sandwich. Soak it in the tub and carefully separate the layers. You can tumble dry the layers individually if you have a gentle cycle. Hopefully you used a batting that's OK to prewash.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:37 AM
shy

I have also had fighting quilts..I think we all have...it is just like your brain goes on vacation...and no matter what u do .it is wrong..i have to admit..I did throw one out...it was huge...I tore the quilting out ..2 times...spents many. Many ..hours doing that...no matter what I did it bunch some in the back..I was doing it on my home machine..I re-basted..fought with it in every way...on the 3rd quilting..same thing..I know it was just me...But I who won't tore any material..did throw it away...have to admit . It sort of haunts that I did...after taking the stitches out so many times ..the fabric gets stress..I have none many for that one and after..NEVER had that kind of trouble...
Old 04-10-2015, 05:14 AM

It might have stretched now after sewing and ripping. Why don't you put it on the cutting mat and trim of the seam line with all the glued part and toss that, then measure your quilt side and see exactly how long it is. Also make sure the corners are square with the other borders. You might want to check the other border and see if they measure what they should.
Whenever I rip something, I usually hold the steam iron over the place and give it a burst of steam and pat it down to the ironing board, to take out any fullness . Once it is flat you and then iron it and proceed to the next area.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 AM

Someone told me that you could use a steam iron or steamer to shrink the fullness out of a quilt while its on the frame. Have tried this out and it works like a charm. I use Elmer's Glue for basting my binding onto the quilt but never to baste the entire quilt. I can only feel for you with your dilemna.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 AM

Sometimes I take little breaks and do something small like a potholder or zippered pouch or pillow.

This either refreshes me so I can attack the problem or makes me not notice minor things I obsessed about before

Don't give up!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

If it is not something I am enjoying, I pass it on to another quilter who will enjoy the process.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:08 PM

Hang in there! But agree, use some water to unbaste (glue) your layers. Then do what you think is best.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:11 PM

You poor thing, I'm sorry you having so much trouble with this quilt. Maybe you can get the glue loose enough you can fix the wrinkles.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
Last year I made a quilt..and gave it to a dear friend. I loved the pattern so much so I decided to make myself one. Only much bigger. OMG!!! You will never believe the problems I have had. I made several blocks wrong...okay..fixed those. Then after putting all the borders on..it was ten inches longer on one side than the other. Went to my LQS and they pointed out that I didn't measure the sides. (True, enough). So I took off all three borders and started again. Well...it still has a couple of extra inches..because I couldn't fit in on with tucks, otherwise. Finally got it done. whew!! Then one night I took it down to the dining hall in my bldg. and ever so quietly...scooted three long tables together..and proceeded to glue everything together with Elmer's school glue and my iron. Have done this many times before. Works wonderfully. But evidently you are supposed to start quilting right away. I let it sit about two weeks. Yep! The glue had slipped and dried several very large wrinkle into the fabric. I actually screamed. Now I have to take it to a commercial laundry and wash the glue out so I can do it all over again. (BTW...honey...don't close that window.)
Don't give up on the Elmers glue---I basted one and it sat for 3 years before I quilted it (glue lumps and all) and it came out beautiful everything washed out---just broke a few needles on the hard lumps