Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window! >

think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window!

think I am ready to throw this quilt out the window!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:51 AM

Whatever you do, don't throw it out! I never let fabric win!!! Most of the suggestions here say to soak just the trouble areas and loosen then try again. I think I agree. Either way, you have put so much time and energy into it already that it would be a shame to just get rid of it. I do think it's worth it to figure out a way to finish it. Just think of it, this one would probably become one of your most cherished quilts of all time. That's usually how I feel about the ones that have been extra challenging for me! Good luck with it. And be sure and post a pic when it's finished so we can all share in the excitement of your finished work.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I share your pain. I've had more than one quilt which sorely tested my patience, so I put the quilt away until I had calmed down, worked on some other projects, then, when it resurfaces, I'll try again. I once tried to make a diamond border to go with a kelidascope ) (sp) quilt top I was making for my DH for our 25th anniversary. Despite measuring carefully (I thought anyway), one side came out longer than the opposite border. So - I spent 2 days un-sewing the borders, then put it away - I finally finished it for our 35th anniversary. I should add that during that time we were hosting our family reunion and my brother was going to be sleeping in my sewing room, so things got put wherever, then I found it again while cleaning my sewing room. He seemed OK with the wait, especially since we had gone to Keepsake Quilting up North where he picked out the fabric. I should mention that he also picked out the pattern, not going to do that again, as there were too many bias edges to deal with. It was a pretty quilt though, even when I thought I should break out the champagne to celebrate finishing the quilt.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Been there, done that, too. Maybe step away from it for a while and go back.

I just ripped out sixteen seams (8 wide strips with a strip sewn on each side) that I had stitched together for a mystery quilt (that I bought specific fabric for) and found out (thankfully before cutting it down) that my 1/4" seams were not as exact as I needed and this pattern requires a very exact 1/4" seam to get a 3 1/2" width for the sections. So I have now reset my 1/4" and started resewing them together.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:54 PM

Sometimes, I just put those "problem" quilts away to finish some other time.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by JaniceP View Post
If I understand you correctly and you mean to put it in a washing machine you will have a bigger mess on your hands when it frays since it is not quilted. Please try to dampen with a cloth or maybe a spray bottle to loosen the glue. Straighten out the wrinkles then let it dry before you proceed to quilt. Good luck to you.
I actually DID take it to a commercial laundrymat and used the giant washer. It worked perfectly. And I don't know why...but it did not fray. Now I just have to get the energy to iron everything and start the process over.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:28 AM

[QUOTE=twinkie;7160941]Jill, I am so sorry you are having trouble. Just think though, a little while ago (Many months) they weren't sure you were going to live let alone be able to quilt. I have seen your quilts and they are beautiful. I think the quilt she is talking about that she made for a friend is called China Doll. The one she gave to a friend was done in purple. Here is a picture of it. Hang in there kiddo. You will be able to get it done.

Oh Donna! I love you so much. Yes..that is the same quilt I made over. (and over and over)
I did end up taking it to a commercial laundry and it washed up very well. Not any ravels. whew! Right now it is sitting on the back of a chair. One of these days I will back to it. Thanks for the clip art, Donna. Love you, Hon.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
There are many flavors of vodka.

OMG!!! Too funny!
Old 05-31-2015, 02:33 AM
Power Poster

If one side really was ten inches longer than the other - did you ever figure out how that happened?

How were you trying to make it larger? by making more blocks for more rows? by making the blocks larger (change from a 8 to 12 inch block, for example)? by adding more borders?

Good luck with dealing with it. I do agree that there is occasionally one that just does not want to cooperate. Things can go wrong that one did not think were even possible to go wrong.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:07 AM

Don't put it in the wash or you can just plan on taking it out of the washing machine and into the nearest dumpster in one swoop. Do as someone else suggested, and just soak that section of the quilt.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If one side really was ten inches longer than the other - did you ever figure out how that happened? quilt shop said I just sewed borders on w/o first measuring sides. And I had just kept adding more blocks to make it big enough.

How were you trying to make it larger? by making more blocks for more rows? by making the blocks larger (change from a 8 to 12 inch block, for example)? by adding more borders?yes...that is exactly what I did. The basic main part of it was fine...it was when I started adding creative rows of white blocks to make it larger. Way too many.

Good luck with dealing with it. I do agree that there is occasionally one that just does not want to cooperate. Things can go wrong that one did not think were even possible to go wrong.
I agree. After it got washed at the launrymat..I dried it and it is on the back of a chair. It falls all over people when they sit there. lol I will have to iron it and I know that will take forever..so I am just letting it sit. Some day......