Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just when you think you got it...ugh! >

Just when you think you got it...ugh!

Just when you think you got it...ugh!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Default Just when you think you got it...ugh!

Have been working on pattern for the Brain Challenge purse with those that wanted it. Thought I had it all together so I followed my own directions. With most of the patterns I've made..not just mine... the lining is way too big for the inside. Most all directions have you cut the lining the same size as the outside...sew outside together, sew lining together, put outside inside lining with right side touching......I'm wondering if the problem is if the lining is 1/4" larger at the get-go because of the seams on the outside...throws off the pocket piece too. Another question... How much shrinkage should be allowed for the quilting? Baggy linings are just not my cup of tea...I want them just right and tacked down...if I don't get this figured out soon I'm going to have a pile of purses..have managed to correct them so they look nice but REALLY want to figure this out... Love quilting that paisley...just get lost in the design.... Any thoughts or advice appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails 014.jpg   011.jpg   016.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 PM

I agree with you. Baggy linings end up ruining the shape of the purse in my opinion. Could you make a narrow pleat or dart somewhere, to take up the extra in the lining? Love your paisley. It reminds me of dragon tails.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Pretty bag. Yes maybe a pleat would help.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

very pretty
Old 07-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Would it help to put batting in the lining too? That would make it stiffer and possibly take out the extra fullness. I've looked and looked at it and cannot figure out how you turned the circle opening. It is a brain challenge!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM

What I'm thinking is the gusset should stay the same but the inside panels should be smaller..on this one rather than a rectangular one it needs to be adjusted at the bottom but not at the top.....just trying to figure out how to figure out how much smaller without wasting a lot of material...my brain hurts...I've been at it for days
It turns really easy through the handle hole...that is sewn shut last with top stitching...just have to be careful and stay stitch around that hole to keep it from warping when you pull it through.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Maybe cut the lining for the bag AFTER the outer layer has been quilted?

The quilting draws up the fabric some.

I had that problem, too, when I was making some bags. So after I waited to cut the lining to the size of the outsde AFTER I had the outer layer quilted, that did help quite a bit with the interior fluffiness.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

On the bags that I made - I did not sew the bottom of the lining together until after the bag was mostly done. Then I verified how wide that last seam should be.

This did mean that I had to turn the bag right side out and wrong side out a couple more times - but I got a better finish that way.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
On the bags that I made - I did not sew the bottom of the lining together until after the bag was mostly done. Then I verified how wide that last seam should be.

This did mean that I had to turn the bag right side out and wrong side out a couple more times - but I got a better finish that way.
Think you are on to something here...I did turn it once but it was still too big and I was too tired and aggravated with it to do it again so I just folded over the excess at the seam and whipped stitched it down. The circular bottom is somewhat of a problem with this one...it looked fine..I just knew it wasn't right....amidst all the bad words, my husband said just keep doing it until you get it right then take it apart and use it for a pattern, but then he never ripped stitches. He wears head phones when I'm doing something like this... Being a perfectionist is a curse sometimes...right now it's all about the pattern or future patterns that drives me to find the right adjustment formula ahead of time... I live to fight another day...LOL Thank you

Last edited by IshtarsMom; 07-04-2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I LUV your fabric choices !!