Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just wondering. >

Just wondering.

Just wondering.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM

I like doing the hand stitching to the back and have gotten pretty good at doing the ladder stitch which is faster then the blind stitch - to me anyway - What I don't like is making the binding or the mitered corners which I do all the time, but some corners come out crappy - or basting the quilt. :)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Even without doing handwork (I do most my bindings completely by machine) I do not like binding. But I'm always so excited to have the whole thing done by that point that I don't let it sit around, I just buckle down and do it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 AM

I'm never happy with the way it looks by machine. So I attach the binding by machine, then hand hem it to the back. Its not the sewing, its the time it takes when I could be working on piecing.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 AM

yes, once the top is pieced I sandwich it, but lose interest in quilting and binding. I hate that I am that way. I want a finished quilt, can't afford to send them to a LA quilter and have to force myself to proceed to completion. So I have more UFOs than I have finished quilts.

Right now I have a quilt I need to finish for a gift for my granddaughter and I'm dragging my feet, starting 2 new projects instead. Dang it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM

how do you machine bind the back so your stitches don't show??
Originally Posted by happymrs
Originally Posted by Country1
Does anyone else hate binding a quilt? Love piecing and quilting, but seems to take me forever to get around to binding it. I just don't like binding. Is it just me? or does anyone else have this problem too?
I do mine totally by machine & get it done a whole lot quicker this way. Works for me!...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Oh but when I DO finish a quilt, I do the binding by machine. It works for me. On kids quilts I'll even use a decorative stitch on the binding in contrasting colors and it looks so cute. I'm not a 'hand' person. The only part of a quilt that I will do by hand is to stitch down the hanging sleeve after it is attached by machine, cuz that can not be done by machine or the stitching would show to the front of the quilt.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Binding is not my favorite chore, but if you want to show off the quilt....
I'm just being annoyed by one of those quilter's mystery books where the heroine spends an hour or so binding a quilt (start to finish). Why couldn't she have only finished part of it, like a real person? Or am I terribly slow? (Did I say someone in the story pieced a Drunkard's Path quilt top in a week while she worked full-time in the same story?) Bionic quilters.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM

I enjoy binding-I don't use bias so is a lot easier to cut out-Ilike sewing while watching tv or driving in the car --I can't just sit still.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 AM

I can't seem to ever get the corners right when it comes time to hand sew the finishing part of binding! My absolute least favorite part (besides pinning the quilt).
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM

I love to bind quilts. I can do it watching TV or sitting outside watching the kids play. It makes the finished product look so nice. I have seen binding sewn on by machine and I don't think it looks as nice. I will gladly bind anyones quilt if you want me to - for free. You would just have to ship it to me.