Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering.

Blog Entries
    Me !! I can make tops, tops and more tops ,hate putting them together and binding.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmworrall
    Can I ask how long it takes most of you to hand sew on a binding? I haven't done a lot of quilts - maybe 15 or so - but it seems to take me FOREVER to do the binding. Does it just take practice to get better/faster?
    On an average I spend about an hour on each side, on a king it can take up to two hours a side.
    Well I guess I don't feel TOO bad then. Although I did a 90 x 90 at Christmas that took me closer to 2 1/2 hrs per side.

Banned
    I hated it when I was using store bought binding. When I ventured out and made my own i love it and want to bind everything!

I love it!

I hate doing binding so much I pay someone to do mine...its worth it to me or they would sit there with no binding..heheheh..blessings

Blog Entries
    I love doing the hand sewing, it goes quickly for me my only problem is my corners hate doing the mitering.

me too
    dar

Blog Entries
    I love to do binding ,I don't like to quilt it.

binding is "NOT" my thing! seems like everytime i bust my back pinning it just right and fabric is all layed out nice and once you start sewing, there's bound to be more than a couple places that puckers or gets out of place! gRRRRRR!

I love to bind my quilts. It is the cherry on top of the cake to me. When the binding is done I am totally finished with the quilt and I love that feeling.

Blog Entries
    I don't mind putting the binding on, it's the making the binding I hate. When I piece the bindings, I invariable get some backwards...

I don't like doing the bindings.
    I think it's because as hard as I try I don't have control of how they will turn out. Some are great and some the corners are awful.

I love hand sewing the binding down IF I have sewn it correctly onto the front. I like mitered corners, but last night I sewed the binding down wrong and will probably have to rip it all out and re-do it before I can do the hand sewing. I HATE ripping out.

I Love doing the binding, knowing that it is just the last step to a finished quilt!!!

Actually - it's the binding I love the best! I suppose it's a combination of two things - I enjoy hand stitching plus the fact it's done when I've finished the binding!!!

Sewing on the binding is my favorite part of making a quilt. I sew my binding strips together, press, and wind them on a heavy cardboard roll so that they are ready to use once I have completed the quilting. I love the machine sewing and mitering the corners; but I found making the join on the bias very frustrating. I was always doing it incorrectly (e.g., ends twisted, slant incorrect, etc.). I'd baste and have to take out the seam numerous times before I got it correct. Last week, I bought one of those devises to make joining the bias seam easy. I can't wait to try it out. I love the handsewing on the back of the binding. I don't know if it is so relaxing or that I am so happy that the quilt is almost completed.

Banned
    I hate binding. I cuss every stitch.

Binding is the best part, because that means it's done.

I am another one that likes to hand sew binding. I have tried the machine sewn and just don't like the way it looks. I can't get it even. I also can't just sit and watch TV I have to have something else to do so I do binding.
    I have one I need to sew on today and will hand stitch the back down for the next few evenings.

I don't like binding so I do it on the machine--goes much quicker that way!

The hand stitching on the back feels like my personal touch of love to the person I am giving the quilt to. Love doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Country1
    Does anyone else hate binding a quilt? Love piecing and quilting, but seems to take me forever to get around to binding it. I just don't like binding. Is it just me? or does anyone else have this problem too?
    Oh, yes, I hate it with a passion, for me it's the hand stitching of the back part. I don't mind the front, but when I have to sit down and hand stitch the back of the binding, I procrastinate.

Blog Entries
    I'm ok with sewing the binding, until I have to do the hand sewing part of it. I am all thumbs when it comes to needle & thread. Always have been. Can't sew a nice blind stitch, thread gets all tangled no matter what trick I try. Why, oh why, couldn't I have taken after my grandmother, well know for her handwork, some of which I have & cherish.

I find hand sewing the binding relaxing while I watch tv or chat, but I agree basting is not fun....It is hard for me to find a place large enuf, too

Dkm
    I really like doing the binding. I like having something to do at night while watching tv. I guess the real reward is when that's done.....it's done. Then you can say " Another one bites the dust." LOL

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast