Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just wondering. >

Just wondering.

Just wondering.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Binding: UGH! I struggle with it. I think we need a session of positive thinking when it comes to binding. Maybe that will help we poor souls who exponentially dislike this final step in our quilting process. My quilt has been sitting here for a week waiting for the binding to magically adhere itself! Crumb buckets! Maybe we should all commit to spending at least an hour a week on our binding until it's finished!!! :shock: :lol:
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 AM

I enjoy doing the binding as that means it will be finished!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM

I agree with you because I have neuropathy in my fingers and can't feel anything, so it is very frustrating. I would pay someone to do it, LOL.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I'm ok with sewing the binding, until I have to do the hand sewing part of it. I am all thumbs when it comes to needle & thread. Always have been. Can't sew a nice blind stitch, thread gets all tangled no matter what trick I try. Why, oh why, couldn't I have taken after my grandmother, well know for her handwork, some of which I have & cherish.
Look through the tutorials on here; there is one excellent one on binding that has helped me hide all stitches. It turns out beautifully.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 AM

I actually like binding. To me, that's the last little bit that will turn my quilt top into a real quilt! I really enjoy finishing the project and looking at a finished product that I started from scratch. I love hand quilting, so the hand work is relaxing to me. Post a picture when you're done, won't you!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
Does anyone else hate binding a quilt? Love piecing and quilting, but seems to take me forever to get around to binding it. I just don't like binding. Is it just me? or does anyone else have this problem too?
I fear it
Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Binding is my favorite part of the quilt process. As I hand-stitch the binding on the quilt, I think of the person I am making it for and how much I love them, what I admire and respect about them, and what they have shown me.

For community service and charity quilts, I think similarly, trying to picture their face(s) as they receive what I've made and imagine how I have positively impacted their life in showing them that someone unseen and unknown cares about them. I have witnessed many of these faces, and many of them come back to me as deeply fond memories.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I don't mind hand stitching the binding. I like to have something to do in front on the tv in the evenings.
I machine sew the bindings on the front then hand bind while watching nothing on tv like Maryb1119. I do this for a friend that hates the binding part. I've done 15 for her so far this yr..
Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Country1
Does anyone else hate binding a quilt? Love piecing and quilting, but seems to take me forever to get around to binding it. I just don't like binding. Is it just me? or does anyone else have this problem too?
Sorry but that is my favorit part. In fact I often offer to do it for all our oppurtunity and charity quilts. I even sometimes do it for friends. I love to sit in the evening with a quilt over my lap and sew down binding. It is mindless work.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM

I love to bind! All of my friends who hate to bind call on me to finish the job :-D