Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Justification???

I would definately buy the featherweight. They are great machines even if you don't sew on it often they are so nice to have in case you want to go somewhere else to sew, (lightweight).

Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    sure it is. I try to compare my husbands tools to my fabric but he's a mechanic and he makes money with his tools and I have yet to try to sell one of my quilts. Good luck
    Hi mimon, love your avitar. :)

then a couple years ago, i won a set of hoosier tires at our corvette convention. that gave me another $1300 to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by STICHNRN
    i quilt, dh races his corvette...........only pylon course against the clock...they won't risk hurting their babies.
    when he started complaining about $$ on fabric, i told him i hadn't even caught up with tires yet.
    I used to autocross also, and got DH into it as well. It is so much fun, plus our local branch of the SCCA used to hand out pretty cool trophies :-)

I almost forgot - no justification needed for a featherweight. Even DH thinks they are cute ;-)

Blog Entries
    I also say go for it and enjoy it to the max!

My quilting friends and I have adopted a man's view on buying new things for our craft. When men buy something they say, " I need this." We say, "I want this." See the difference?! We all now say that we need this or that.
    Go get that and enjoy it.

These little machines are a joy to own and use and for about $300 will probably still be going strong when our very expensive and computerized ones are landfill fodder. What a bargain! I'd go get one.

Go for it......life is short. I have 3 of them, plan to give one to each of my 2 granddaughters and 1 for me. Think of it as an investment, you can always get your money back out of it, but you won't want to!

absolutely!

Blog Entries
    I have a featherweight, a White machine (think they were made by Singer) which is a workhorse and now I have just purchased a beautiful Singer 66 red eye through Ebay from Canada. Waiting for a belt to arrive for it. I have two other machines in the attic which are both broken. One is a Brother and the other a Kenmore. I doubt I will ever get them fixed because I love my vintage machines so much. They sew better than the other two.
    If the price is right, don't hesitate. To me, they are worth their weight in gold, which by the way is 11 lbs. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    I'm trying to justify buying a featherweight. I already have 3 machines. And I use them all. Then I got to thinking, dh has 7 or 8 or 10 fishing poles. Not sure how many - never actually counted them. I have no idea how much fishing poles cost and I don't care how much money he spends on anything!! We never complain about each others' spending. We're both so tight we squeak when we walk, so we don't spend money foolishly. Is equating fishing poles and sewing machines a fair comparison?

Blog Entries
    I love my FWs go for it! they are nice and light great to take to classes, meeting ect ect!

I have about 8-10 reels, 3 poles and 6 sewing machines. My hubby has more reels, depth-finders and every lure known to man. :lol: We are both retired and don't spend on foolish things, BUT we do on the things related to what we love. All of the machines were bought over the years, except for my G-mother's SINGER treadle, and they all serve a purpose. LIFE IS SO SHORT, get what you think will really make you happy. :thumbup:

I would say if you use them all you are justified

i would like to look at some things that you put on ebay when you put them on

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I have 4 sewing machines..
    This whole subject reminds me of the boyfriend in "You've got mail" that loved the sound of type writers and kept buying them.

Hah ! I am guilty too.. sure.. but the feather weight !

I have 5 sewing machines that I use regularly----One is a Featherweight that I just love.......and it leaves me wanting more-----some one said if you have more than 1 machine in a room, it is a studio and you don't have to clean a studio!

If you really like this featherweight then I vote to buy. These little machines don't come your way often. I have 2 featherweights and enjoy using them both. Let us know what you decide - good luck.

Also the Feather Weight will gain in value. You are investing your money wisely and you can use it in the mean time.

Works for me also. DH is a fly fisherman and fly tier. Has a lot
    of poles and other things. He doesn't ask me about my hobby and I don't ask him. It's worked for 53 years!

The increase in value, sentimental or otherwise, is much greater than a CD these days. Go for it. I have 7 featherweights with the hopes of getting one of them transformed into a pretty red or burgandy color. One of these days I will ship one out, probably while my husband is out golfing. Now that's not a cheap sport eaither.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    I'm trying to justify buying a featherweight. I already have 3 machines. And I use them all. Then I got to thinking, dh has 7 or 8 or 10 fishing poles. Not sure how many - never actually counted them. I have no idea how much fishing poles cost and I don't care how much money he spends on anything!! We never complain about each others' spending. We're both so tight we squeak when we walk, so we don't spend money foolishly. Is equating fishing poles and sewing machines a fair comparison?
    Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    It's not "just" a machine, it's memoribilia, a thing of beauty, and useful too boot. We could all buy cheap bedding at Target and give gift cards, dropping this "hobby" altogether and save $$$$. I have 9 machines, including 3 featherweights, a serger, yards and yards of fabric, and NO SHAME. I dont pay for TV, make-up, haircuts, and many other "standard" expenses. We all have different priorities.
    Oh, bless your heart. I do pay for TV but do don't spend a penny on nail polish, make up, hair dos (only cuts).

Let me see, what is the current cost of a hair wash and set? I get that much for fabric a week?

Quote Originally Posted by harrishs
    I have 5 sewing machines that I use regularly----One is a Featherweight that I just love.......and it leaves me wanting more-----some one said if you have more than 1 machine in a room, it is a studio and you don't have to clean a studio!
    LOL, on not cleaning a studi!

Like the old saying goes - the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys....lol. So I think our sewing/
    hobbies should have equal standing. :thumbup:

How do you put a price on Joy? Buy the machine and feel the joy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast