Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kaffe Fassett quilt

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar

Kaffe Fassett quilt

Is it considered a sacrilege to use a few fabrics other than Kaffe Fassett fabrics in a quilt? I have a collection of his fabrics that I want to use in a quilt, but I would like to use 2 or 3 non Kaffe fabrics in the quilt also.
    I just wondered if this is considered acceptable, or would people gasp in horror at the idea? 😳
    Just about all Kaffe quilts that I see are made from exclusively his fabrics.

It's your quilt .....

Kaffe isn't paying for your fabric, so do what YOU like and want to do!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Don't worry, it's been done before, and it's your quilt anyway. Here's a example of Kaffe fabrics combined with Fossil Ferns:

http://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/2...-27-to-go.html

Why would anyone even consider that to be a problem?
    Ageing is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been............David Bowie

Go for it! I understand that you might be hesitant since there seems to be such a Fassett cult, but the quilt in the link that Cass62 posted shows that there are other rebels out there ;o)
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I've done it... It's just fabric! If you have other pieces that look good with the Kaffes, use them. You are the designer of your own quilt.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've done it too - one of the first quilts I ever made and still one of my favorites. Your quilt, your rules.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    It's your quilt .....

Kaffe isn't paying for your fabric, so do what YOU like and want to do!
    I agree! It's your quilt. Do what you want. I used to hear people say that you couldn't use batiks with non-batiks in a quilt and, yet, I've seen some beautiful quilts with mixes of fabrics. I say go for it!
    Patrice S

Do what pleases you. I'm sure no one will gasp in horror. I mixed Fasset and stash fabrics in this top, and was happy with the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lisa

I was taught to add fabric from another line. this will help the quilt "pop". Only fabric from the same line can cause the quilt to look mushy since they all blend together.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Yes, by all means, it's perfectly ok. In fact, I think 'other fabrics' are necessary with his fabrics, in order to break up the 'busy-ness' of his prints. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
    Yes, by all means, it's perfectly ok. In fact, I think 'other fabrics' are necessary with his fabrics, in order to break up the 'busy-ness' of his prints. Have fun!
    I think he offers Shot Cottons for plains to go with his busy fabrics ..... not that I believe one needs to use them!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

The "Quilt Police" might protest, but they have no jurisdiction anywhere. I say, go for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
    I was taught to add fabric from another line. this will help the quilt "pop". Only fabric from the same line can cause the quilt to look mushy since they all blend together.
    ESPECIALLY KF fabrics. All that riot of pattern and color just overwhelms vision.
    Ageing is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been............David Bowie

Quote Originally Posted by JediMom View Post
    The "Quilt Police" might protest, but they have no jurisdiction anywhere. I say, go for it!!
    sort of akin to swastika carrying skinheads, these quilt police......

There is NO such thing as The Quilt Police.... It is a myth. (Now there might be so called "Quilt Snobs" that have an opinion about everything quilt related but they should be ignored!) Your fabric, your quilt do what you want!

I don't build my quilts by fabric lines. I use lots of different fabrics in my quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by catsden View Post
    I don't build my quilts by fabric lines. I use lots of different fabrics in my quilts.
    Absolutely! I much prefer making my OWN choices. Never met but ONE fabric line I could love all of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter View Post
    I just wondered if this is considered acceptable, or would people gasp in horror at the idea?
    I'd probably do it on purpose, just to flush the Quilt Police out into the open!

When I use a pattern I pick fabrics out of my huge stash.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Well...I don't know....what Kaffe whatever fabric is!! I'm sorry....I have to go look it up. Your fabric, your quilt, your choice. I buy fabric that "speaks" to me. Name doesn't matter. Feel, quality and appeal does. Go for it!!
    Last edited by Anniedeb; 03-15-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    he wants to sell his fabs, so he'll use all of them. too much in a quilt gets lost. I like one maybe 2 in a quilt. your eyes need a resting place to see what's going on. Had a discussion about this today, too. Too much of a good thing, you've heard that. i personally, would only use one.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    this is your quilt, do as you wish. don't care about what others think. I'm sure there is a lot of people like me that thinks it's overkill. He's in the market to see his goods, so he's pushing it. If grown adults can't understnad that. they have a problem.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I love KFs vision and, imho, when using his fabric, more is better. But I would never give a thought to " not mixing" his with other fabrics. If you like it go for it.

KFs has a very bold, saturated style and I love them. I have seen his quilts at shows and many quilters would faint at the sight of his quilts. While most of us have been taught rules and restrictions of failing to be perfect (admit it), he has a very free handed and happy style of quilting. Seeing his work has given me a wonderful new perspective on what a quilt should represent. They should come from your own heart and soul.

Do what makes you happy first.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    There are no rules,,, it is your quilt and you can put whatever fabrics suit you. I do love his fabrics, but they would blend with lots of other fabrics.. go for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast