Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keepin it Klean and Komfortable >

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM

I don't have a huge stash, but am addicted to purchasing plastic containers.

Projects in separate containers; pattern; ideas; fabric

Two tubs for misc. backing and interfacing.

Three magazine size plastic containers for fat qtrs.

Two Craftsman rolling utility chests with drawers. Line some drawers with rubber gripper shelf liner; tops available for workspace. Separate drawers for cutting implements. machine parts (3 machines); rulers; pins (including empty parmesan cheese shakers for safety pins}; thread; etc. Larger cutting mat as workspace on top of one unit. Have two mats so sometimes piggyback on one unit for storage. I can use both mats on big board as larger cutting surface.

Do NOT pile anything on big board or top of cutting chest as temporary storage spot.

Spare table at opposite side of room on which to pile stuff.
I'm not perfect and will never be. I am realistic. :-)

Small basket available to temporarily store smaller pieces of fabric after cutting. ********Cut up remaining fabric in to usable pieces (squares, strips, etc.) when project is finished and feed them into appropriate containers -- remember the plastic container addiction?

Use leaders and enders to cut back on wasting thread. String piece as much as possible and clip apart items with mailer opener razor blade. Bag taped to edge of both big board and sewing machine table to collect small pieces of fabric and thread.

Note pad near sewing machine for jotting down ideas and/or needs. Wastepaper basket handy.

Candy dish with CHOCOLATE and absorbant coaster for refillable water bottle. These might be last, but not least in my book.

Try one or two baby steps and you'll develop your own system.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 AM

Kay Carlson: Your sewing room sounds very efficient as well as neat and clean. Do you have any pictures?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM

I just thought of another really good question...

What do you keep in your sewing basket?

Mine are basically empty and sit on the shelf or on top of the boxes. Sewing Baskets are so pretty and are a recognized partr of the sewing room, but what is the most efficient way to use them?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Where do you live? I could really use some help in cleaning and organizing my whole house. Anyone in the Ohio area love cleaning that much? LOL in Christ, Happy Stitchin

Originally Posted by jetnica
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by breannabelle
Originally Posted by sewcrafty

Need a sewing fairy to come by and clean things up! :thumbup:
When she's done at your house, send her to mine, please! :)
I'm still waiting!! :lol: :lol: Checked this morning, still nothing yet. :lol:
I will clean and organize for you!!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 AM

I don't have a sewing basket.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
If I haven't used it in a year it goes to a better cause.
If I don't need it, get rid of it.
If I can't make good use of it, give it away.
Clean up as I go. If I put things back in their proper place, I use less time looking for things and use that time to be more creative or to relax.
Don't buy it just because I can or I like it.
I only buy quilting magazines if I really like three or more projects in it.
Keep my stash to a workable size and do not take over any other part of the house with my hobby. Keep it in the sewing/quilting area.
Just cuz it is cheap, pn sale, or I can get oodles of fabric from a thrift store/yard sale/auction/whatever, does not mean I will use it or need it.
I don't need all the gadgets and machines only what I can make good use of.
If it does not have to do with my sewing and quilting, it does not belong in my sewing area.
Hope this helps Gwyn. I'm sure I can think of more.
Great advice from Wvdek that is useful to all of us. However, you just may not be a neat kind of person, so don't keep beating yourself up and live with it.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:06 AM

I read in an article that the little scraps and pcs of thread were good to stuff things with. Being the pac rat that i am, I just had to do it. I've already made a huge dog pillow and used these pcs to stuff it with. Worked GREAT! I recently went through all my totes in my craft room and sorted into 4 boxes, fairly large pcs, up to fat quarter size. strips. scrappy pcs. anything that wasn't easily usable went into the "stuffing" bag. Now when I have a little time between projects I grab one of those boxes and work on putting the scrappy pcs together into random squares, when I have enough I will trim and assemble. I sorted the strips into "like widths" and am working on sewing them all into one long strip to be cut into lengths for a strip quilt. Not sure just how long I will keep this up, but it is worth a try!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM

I have a corner in my living room for my sewing projects and all around the table and under it are pieces of paper, threads and fabric. Occasionally I can see the carpet underneath.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I just thought of another really good question...

What do you keep in your sewing basket?

Mine are basically empty and sit on the shelf or on top of the boxes. Sewing Baskets are so pretty and are a recognized partr of the sewing room, but what is the most efficient way to use them?
I actually keep just my reg. sewing items in there - buttons, zippers, snaps, thread, velcro and things like that that I don't use for quilting.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Okay. I have struggled for 50 years to have a neat and clean sewing area. Yesterday, I finally struck floor for the first time in forever. How do you keep your fabric organized? What do you do with all that thread that is clipped off your creations? and finally,
How can I keep from having my sewing space full of stuff that falls on the floor and my ironing space is only about the first 12 inches of the ironing board?
I try to clean up my space after finishing a project or just before starting another project. That way I only have out the things I need for the WIP. I change whatever needs to be changed and not be so hasseled with things from other projects. K