Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keepin it Klean and Komfortable >

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 AM

I love sewing in my sunroom (lots of light and beautiful views), but its only a 3 season so winter is definitely out!! BRRRRRR! So since my stepson no longer lives with us, you got it, I'm taking over his bdrm. YEAH!!!! My sons room is actually bigger and he's leaving for college this month, but only has 1 window so I'm going to use the other one, its only like 11x12, but hopefully will hold everything. Spill over can go into son's closet. :-D I just absolutely can't wait!!!! I'll be in hog heaven, everything in one place, OMG what am I going to do? :lol: :lol: Been 3 yrs since this has happened.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 AM

Lots of good advice here. I especially appreciate wvdek's list to go by. I have been working on my space since Tuesday morning when my guys went on a trip. I moved my cutting table to another side of the room so it wouldn't be as convenient to stack piles on it. I've also decided (again) that I truly do own enough sewing stuff to last me quite a while so I need to stop buying for a while. (Of course, this is after a month of great quilty purchases including stuff at the Maine Quilt Show).

I really wanted to sew before the guys returned home but this will make it easier to sew so I guess it's all good in the end.

I also realized that I am almost as addicted to buying plastic totes and bins as I am fabric. Anyone else have that problem?
lots2do
Old 08-05-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do

I also realized that I am almost as addicted to buying plastic totes and bins as I am fabric. Anyone else have that problem?
lots2do
Me too!

I've enjoyed this thread and finally just had to join in.
I've been working on organizeing my sewing room for months. Was given an entertainment centre - 2 pieces 30" wide x 22" deep and 1 piece about 22" wide by 22" deep - all about 6 ft tall. Too deep for how I want to fold my fabric so still working on sorting and folding. (AMAZING how much more fabric fits on a shelf when its been ironed and folded). Last week bought plastic totes and tubs on sale at Canadian Tire for all the open shelves - 2 wider sections have doors on the bottom and glassed in top 2 sections. Am working on a scrap quilt right now - but that's another thread. Sort of cleaning and sorting some every day I get into my room.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:48 AM

thanks i hate having to clean thay darn roller. tape sounds great
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 AM

Ironing board? What ironing board? Haven't seen the thing since 19...
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM

I'm not a good one for advice either. Hi Gwyn. I found last time I cleaned I couldn't find anything after that. I try to put stuff where it belongs when I'm done but it seems like I'm never done. I do have alot of totes though that I try to keep everything in. I have my fabric color coordinated in totes.
Its now harvest time and everyones wheat fields end up in my sewing room so I do try to keep everything covered in totes. Lots of property relocating right now.
So I guess my advice would be totes and lots of them. :thumbup:
There is alot of great advice here from everyone I enjoyed reading through this. Thanks Gwyn
Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 AM

After years of wading through lots of thread ends, fabric clippings, lost needles and pins, I make it a hard and fast rule to pick up, store loose items, and pull out the hoky for a few swipes around the machine area to get up the "fall offs" BEFORE my darling pet gets there first and has another $1000 trip to the vet for a swallowed needle. I AM MOTIVATED!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM

I simply cannot work in a disorganized space, although I'm not by any means a great housekeeper. I just like to keep my workspace organized and clean. I'm always making adjustments to the way things are organized. Every time I think I have it just right, I think of something else I can do to help keep it neat. I try to clean up at the end of every sewing day, but sometimes it waits a few days. It's like everything else: If it's important to you, you will do it. It isn't important to everyone.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

My problem is that I have clothing, and home deco and craft fabric to store too. I wanted to seperate them all out and concentrate on having a quilting storage closet. So far it has taken two weeks of washing ironing and folding. The job isn't even half finished! I am really tired, so yesterday I took a break. So, what do I do? I went fabric shopping! In my defense though, I went for only the pieces I needed to finish a couple things and a new quilt top called tennessee waltz. (Yes! I got it all now, WooHoo!)

I need to begin collecting some more batting and backing fabrics, but until this project is finished, I will be good. LOL! (The evil laugh...)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 AM

This has been such a great experience to read all of your contributions. I guess my mess is probably equally related to most of your messes. It helps me to know I"m like the rest of you and not weird. You are all wonderful and wise quilters so I will take your suggestions and incorporate them into my new space. When I get it 'finished' I'll post a picture and explain what I have done to improve the situation.

If you have a sewing/quilting space you are proud of, please take a few pictures and share your words of wisdom.