Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keepin it Klean and Komfortable >

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Okay. I have struggled for 50 years to have a neat and clean sewing area. Yesterday, I finally struck floor for the first time in forever. How do you keep your fabric organized? What do you do with all that thread that is clipped off your creations? and finally,
How can I keep from having my sewing space full of stuff that falls on the floor and my ironing space is only about the first 12 inches of the ironing board?
I'm a container freak, so it was no surprise when I kept the little plastic containers that beef bouillion cubes come in. I didn't know what I'd do with them, but when I got into quilting, I found they work perfectly to keep by my sewing machine and drop all the clipped threads in.

As far as organizing the rest of my 'stash' and all my quilting supplies - I haven't quite figured that part out either! I've got fabric all over my dining room, some in my living room, and some in the bedroom too!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by jetnica
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by breannabelle

Need a sewing fairy to come by and clean things up! :thumbup:
When she's done at your house, send her to mine, please! :)
I'm still waiting!! :lol: :lol: Checked this morning, still nothing yet. :lol:
I will clean and organize for you!!
Turtle, how far is la-la land from southern Oklahoma? LOL!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak
Originally Posted by jetnica
Originally Posted by breannabelle

Need a sewing fairy to come by and clean things up! :thumbup:
When she's done at your house, send her to mine, please! :)
I'm still waiting!! :lol: :lol: Checked this morning, still nothing yet. :lol:
I will clean and organize for you!!
Turtle, how far is la-la land from southern Oklahoma? LOL!
LOL -- I'm in WV - so I'm kinda far from OK and UT -- we may have to find some airline miles to use up or something!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Well I do a major clean up and put away every monday morning!
this gives me a good start on the week!
also lets me slide the rest of the week!
I vacuum every morning! you would not believe how much dust the cutting of fabric creates! When I have been cutting black kona all day it is everywhere, even blck when I blow my nose!!LOL sorry but true!
also dust off the cutting mats,sewing machine,die cutter and the dies I used the day before.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 AM

Just wanted to let you know that this thread MADE me go in there and wade through things this morning!!! The fairy never came, she's fired!!! :evil: Took me a while, but everything is back to where it belongs and now I can get back down to business. Does feel good. Yeah momma!!! :-D :-D

Gwyn, I'm probably the worst person to give advice on this. I have a grocery bag on a c-cup hook next to my machine that I put thread and unusable stuff in (besides what lands on the floor :shock: ) I purchased some smaller totes at WalMart that I keep projects in, that way all the material, etc. is in one container (hopefully). I'm sewing in my sunroom so there's not a place for all my material, just what is in progress plus my muslin, some backings, etc. the rest is in the basement in huge plastic containers that I run back and forth with.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 AM

I use shelves to put my fabric in color stacks. This really helps keep my fabric in order. Get yourself a new toleit brush for the threads on the floor it works great, just rub it on the floor and it gets all the threads and debree stuck on the carpet. I put all my projects in Plastic containers so I can keep all the fabric for a project togeather. I keep a trash can under my cutting table so I can throw the cutting scraps into it. I have two Plastic storage shelves from wal mart to put all my plastic bins on with my projects. I have shelves for my books pins and so on. I have several three draw plastic draw bins from wall mart to keep my sewing needles and sewing machines things that sits right next to my sewing machine. I have a trash can next to my sewing machine for threads. But I still have to clean my sewing room all the time or I would not be able to get in it. So I think that no matter what we do it is always going to take work to keep it up. But I can't wait to make my next big mess. Happy Quilting.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Just wanted to let you know that this thread MADE me go in there and wade through things this morning!!! The fairy never came, she's fired!!! :evil: Took me a while, but everything is back to where it belongs and now I can get back down to business. Does feel good. Yeah momma!!! :-D :-D
Me, too! So thanks for posting the subject! I use an old drop-leaf cherry dining table for my sewing table and have been meaning to extend the other leaf and turn the table for what seems like for-EVER and I did today. Put away the miscellaneous, too. So, it looks so inviting to go and sew-sew-SEW!!!

(Too bad in all my cleaning frenzy, I broke the leg on my chair!)
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

:oops: I don't :cry: LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 PM

I'm glad I'm a Lab Fairy. I don't do that organized sewing thing really well but I try. My tools are hung on a pegboard, cones of thread in a plastic bin, regular thread in a thread holder hanging on the pegboard. I write everything I need to cut and have cut on a dry erase board in a color code (sue me, it is the way I work). I am still working on a good arrangement for the rulers. I still feel so disorgainized. I put the last pieces cut for a quilt I'm working on in a "safe" place before I left on my trip and can't remember where that place was. I might just recut the darn things since there were just 7 pieces left.

You need a thread catcher for the sewing area. As for the fabric... I don't have any good answers for that. She who dies with the most good stuff wins?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM

I got the $30 or so tall bookshelf unit from good ole wally world to stack my quilting fabrics on. Works pretty well for folded fabric, but just a bit too narrow for bolts to fit into the bottom shelves.

For the odds and ends of little tools, etc. I have a multi-pocket shoe organizer hanging near my over the door ironing board.

So far sounds great doesn't it?

The rest of it is in miscellaneous boxes, totes, bags...WIPs are stacked anywhere and everywhere...chairs, ironing board, other end of dining room table...

Someday...