Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keepin it Klean and Komfortable >

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Keepin it Klean and Komfortable

Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Love sewing in a sunroom too have an electric space heater for the winter but this summmer has been just to much I use felt for curtains and they double as design wall
Old 08-05-2010, 04:46 PM

It took me two months to go throught all my patterns, fabric, stuff I had a large garage sale and was very pleased with my evert. THEN !!!! we had water in the basement not enough to do a lot of damage but enough to hsve to move everthing and let the carpet dry. Now my sewing room looks worse then it did. I have to bite the bullet and reorganize the mess. I have been sewing but stepping over a lot and using little apces. Like i said bite the bullet and do it.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:46 PM

I use little spaces not apces
Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
If I haven't used it in a year it goes to a better cause.
If I don't need it, get rid of it.
If I can't make good use of it, give it away.
Clean up as I go. If I put things back in their proper place, I use less time looking for things and use that time to be more creative or to relax.
Don't buy it just because I can or I like it.
I only buy quilting magazines if I really like three or more projects in it.
Keep my stash to a workable size and do not take over any other part of the house with my hobby. Keep it in the sewing/quilting area.
Just cuz it is cheap, pn sale, or I can get oodles of fabric from a thrift store/yard sale/auction/whatever, does not mean I will use it or need it.
I don't need all the gadgets and machines only what I can make good use of.
If it does not have to do with my sewing and quilting, it does not belong in my sewing area.
Hope this helps Gwyn. I'm sure I can think of more.
This is an awesome list. And if I use it as a checklist I fail it miserably.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by jetnica
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by breannabelle
Originally Posted by sewcrafty

Need a sewing fairy to come by and clean things up! :thumbup:
When she's done at your house, send her to mine, please! :)
I'm still waiting!! :lol: :lol: Checked this morning, still nothing yet. :lol:
I will clean and organize for you!!
That's great and thanks for the offer. The only problem is whether I am near to La La Land! Just kidding.....

:-P :lol: :?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM

My sewing "table" is an old metal desk. I use the skinny drawer just above the knee hole for my small tools, etc.
I have a drawer for thread, a drawer for elastic, binding, etc., a large deep drawer for bigger items, and a drawer for "stuff". I have my fabrics in 5 stackable, plastic drawers and 2 bins, but only the small bins the size of 2 shoeboxes. I use a single plastic shoe box for my scraps, as I don't have many yet. Being fairly new, I don't have an awful lot of fabric yet. I am beginning to get some yardage, but mostly I have taken apart clothing and less than 1 yd. pieces. I can't keep my fabric neat, cuz I'm always dragging it out for something, and have piled it here and there to sort for different projects.
I tie a grocerybag to the drawer handle on the desk and faithfully put all threads and trash in it, so I don't usually have them on the floor. Unless I am unsewing garments for the fabric, LOL, then I'm a wooly bear.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM

jetnica- Will you clean for fabric?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM

When I first started quilting, I was much more energetic. I hung up a 8 x 8 peg board and I arranged my rulers, fabric cutters, patterns, and the like all were hung on the board. My cutting mats were underneath the peg board against the wall. I used 3 drawer pull out plastic storage for pins, fabric markers, safety pins, etc in 2 of the drawers and the manuals to sewing machines in the bottom drawer.

I stored the ironing board behind the door. I also purchased plastic shoe boxes for my thread.

That was a long time ago and I've added more patterns, cutting mats (purchased with 50% off coupons from JoAnn's). It worked well for a time. Then I got more stuff and has less time to put up shelves or built in cabinets.

It would be such a luxury to have both the time and the ability to finish my sewing room project....... Maybe I will at some point.

Thanks to everyone for their wonderful ideas.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 PM

My closets are usually organized but when I turn my back all the stuff just starts creeping out to all of the flat surfaces. I don't know who is responsible, but when I can't stand it any more I clean up.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S
My closets are usually organized but when I turn my back all the stuff just starts creeping out to all of the flat surfaces. I don't know who is responsible, but when I can't stand it any more I clean up.
"Who, Me?" is always the responsible party at my house. Unfortunately, Who, Me's eviction notice never seems to reach them. Even the cats have adopted that particular facial expression. I'm out numbered and out flanked. I'm raising the white flag.