Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
keeping color bright for many years >

keeping color bright for many years

keeping color bright for many years

Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

thank you for the tips, and yes I used cloth dippers 24 years ago
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Vinegar is good for a lot of things. Try it on moss, weeds, grass in the driveway....just be careful not to get it on something you want to live!. I use white vinegar, full strength. Also, if you have a cat using your favorite flower bed for a potty break, just put some vinegar where he left his message and he will stay away.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Vinegar is good for a lot of things. Try it on moss, weeds, grass in the driveway....just be careful not to get it on something you want to live!. I use white vinegar, full strength. Also, if you have a cat using your favorite flower bed for a potty break, just put some vinegar where he left his message and he will stay away.
thanks for that tip about the cat's potty break, the other day i mixed up about a half cup of garlic salt, chili powder, and onion powder and threw that around under a cedar tree in my back yard to try to shoo the neighbor cats away. it's helping. also i put some moth balls all around my front porch to shoo away the long haired neighbor cats and that's working good so far. i have that outdoor carpet on my porch and i couldn't even sweep their hair off with a broom, had to get my big kirby vac clnr out to do the job.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by dojo36
Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
thanks for that tip about the cat's potty break, the other day i mixed up about a half cup of garlic salt, chili powder, and onion powder and threw that around under a cedar tree in my back yard to try to shoo the neighbor cats away. it's helping. also i put some moth balls all around my front porch to shoo away the long haired neighbor cats and that's working good so far. i have that outdoor carpet on my porch and i couldn't even sweep their hair off with a broom, had to get my big kirby vac clnr out to do the job.
Pepper also works. Both red and black. I mix 'um.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 PM

yourstrulyquilts, thanks i'll try the pepper too.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM

what does starch twice .... mean?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM

GR8 tips! Thanks. Anyone know how to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 PM

I would be reluctant to use vinegar in a final rinse.. I'd want it washed thoroughly out of the fabric as acid can break down fabric fibre and vinegar is nothing but acetic acid. I have also used hypertonic salt water to set dye in fabric. This too I wash out thoroughly after setting the color for 20 min or so.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I used cloth 21 years ago.
I just came across a pkg of 12 brand new BirdsEye diapers that were leftovers from 45 years ago!! DS snagged them as polishing cloths for his new motorcycle. Said they were his originally anyway!! He calls me a hoarder but that sure didn't stop him from taking them home
Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Using about 1/2 cup vinegar in rinse water does wonders for keeping darks from getting that dull grayish film. Also helps dish towels and bath towels smelling fresh.
It does keep colors from fading. Vinegar has a long history of being useful.