Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: keeping quilts

i am feeling much better already - in fact have already started planning out another quilt for them which I even think they might like better! They like more vibrant colors I think (the grow a lot of flowers) and the one I have made is more muted - so maybe it will all be OK and I will not have to miss my quilt! You guys are right - we make them and we should decide who gets 'em!

I can certainly sympathize with your dilemma. Keep it if you want, give it to your friend if you know that you can handle giving it to someone who will truly appreciate your love and hard work involved in making it. No need to feel selfish if you decide to keep it. And, if I kept every quilt I finished and didn't want to part with, I'd never have any to give away. :)

If you love it you should keep it. Make another one for the gift.

Blog Entries
    I agree, if you love it you should keep it! It is YOUR quilt, after all. I had the same dilemma this time last year...someone asked me to make a quilt for them and it turned out so beautiful I had a hard time parting with it! The quilt really didn't go with my decor at all, though, so I let it go to a very happy recipient. I learned some important lessons working on that quilt, and I can always make one similar if I want to.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm the selfish one here. I plan everything I make for ME! Then if I'm not totally in love with it, I will give it as a gift. :twisted: :twisted: :XD:

Works for me! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I guess I'm the selfish one here. I plan everything I make for ME! Then if I'm not totally in love with it, I will give it as a gift. :twisted: :twisted: :XD:

Works for me! :thumbup:
    Nothing wrong with that! It is YOUR FABRIC and YOUR CREATIVE WORK. That makes it YOURS unless you decide to give it away.

Blog Entries
    My closet is full of quilts I couldn't part with. Perfectly understandable...and acceptable.

OMG, what would you think of me hahahahahhaha...I keep all my quilts. There must be 30 or so of them. Except for the ones I make specifically for my PIL's and those have been just 5. I have another one in the works for a little boy.

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Quilting is your art. There is no guilt in loving it. Make your gift another one.
    I agree whole heartedly make her another one

Blog Entries
    I have given away so many quilts, I don't feel at all guilty about keeping some.

I make a lot of quilts for other people, BUT I make a lot for myself also. I do the ol' one for you, and one for me, two for you and one, two for me! Hahaha, I don't always want to give them away. Sometimes I make the quilt just to make cause I like the material or want to try something new and end up giving it to someone. So don't feel guilty you are not alone.

It would be very nice to see a pic of your new quilt, if you can post one for us.

LOL on some of the above reasoning, I agree, it's yours till it goes out the door, then not too late to stop on the way for a gift card, Can unwrap when you get it back home!! or wait till your Birthday, still a gift just to you!! :)
    You know you deserve somthing nice for making such a
    pretty :)

Blog Entries
    I do that all the time.
    I grow attached to certain quilts, and I figure if it makes me happy, I should enjoy it.
    I made it.

I have done so much gifting that I never have kept for myself. I spent about ten years cross stitching. I do not have a single finished piece! I spent two years crocheting. Guess who is the only one without a a crocheted item?
    If you love this one keep it! The reciever of the gift will never know!

Blog Entries
    This happens to me all the time. I have all the best intentions (which I see through to the end) of making up the quilt for someone. YOU BOND WITH A QUILT! Don't laugh! I bond with all of my quilts. Why, you ask? Because while you are working on it, things happen! Happy things, sad things, funny things, ridiculous things. And they become sewn into the quilt. I have found that when I make a quilt regardless of who it is for, I make a book. Each block has a story - what I was doing, how I felt, what the headlines were, what the weather was, what I was planning on doing that day. Sometimes I will put in the story of the block (a little research necessary there) because I know the recipient of the quilt will better understand the meaning of the quilt. I have done this for every quilt I make. I keep it in the computer until the quilt is done and then I print it all up, put it in a folder and put it with the quilt. It is a lot easier to part with the quilt that way, knowing that the recipient has a part of you in the quilt and will better be able to understand the ways and idiocyncrasies of a quilter, our whims, and fancies, why we changed the color in that block from this to that and the meaning to you of that particular little square. I made myself a memory quilt and it is my life from 1938 to 2008 (735 squares). Each little square in every block has a special meaning and I can look at it and remember every little detail of my life.

I love to quilt for other people. Sorry for my ramblings, but this article is special to me. Not only are you giving them the gift of a quilt (which, to me, is the epitome of gifts, because it is so truly from the heart), but you are teaching them love, value, caring, of what was a bunch of pieces of fabric into what is now an extremely valuable gift, priceless and given from the heart. Edie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
    i am feeling really really guilty and selfish - i just finished up a quilt top i was making for a gift and i just can't part with it. i really never make myself any quilts to keep but i really want to keep this one (it was also one that involved a lot of piece work etc). so - thinking of just making a dif one for my gift quilt. being selfish, huh? does anyone else ever do that?
    NO, you are NOT being selfish, I make to sell for dog rescue, but as am not always well fellin love with an xmas quilt I did ,right size to cover me SO after much soul searching I kept it ---------after all I did pay and make it , SO DON'T FEEL QUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you love it that much, keep it, and make something else for the other person. There is nothing wrong with keeping something that means so much to you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
    i am feeling really really guilty and selfish - i just finished up a quilt top i was making for a gift and i just can't part with it. i really never make myself any quilts to keep but i really want to keep this one (it was also one that involved a lot of piece work etc). so - thinking of just making a dif one for my gift quilt. being selfish, huh? does anyone else ever do that?
    This kind of fits in with another thread. I would say, give it to the person who would appreciate it most, and if that is you than that is where the quilt should be. Don't make such a fussy to make quilt for the gift. I like log cabins for gifts, look impressive but are easy to make.

being able to quilt/sew is a gift for God, lots of people can't do it....you're not being selfish I have 5 of the 100's I've made.

So much love, so much thought, so many tiny victories and perhaps many larger failures as the work begins It is so absorbing. This goes until the completion of the quilt and then I realize how very affectionate I feel towards the quilt. Can't wait to pull it over my shoulders for a delighted snooze. Give it away! Oh NO! People really have very little time to give to really appreciate as in this world they are swiftly moving on to the next thing.I'll never forget that it took me two years, and three sessions of illness to professionally pull together my family history. The next year I went to a family wedding where all the recipients were and NOT ONE even mentioned it to me. I suspect that I might have done the same in years past. So I really can't fault human nature and the speed of life. But I can freely keep my quilting work.

Why can't you keep it. If you love it, it should be yours. No guilt!

Sure! You need a portfolio, right?

Sure! You need a portfolio, right?

We are mad aren't we? Almost every quilt I make I want to keep at some point!!! Just OCCASIONALLY, why shouldn't we!!!

ITS YOUR QUILT!!!

would love to see it!

I've been asked if I ever keep a quilt for my self and
    the answer is always no.
    That is until I went shopping this week and found the
    most beautiful fabric.
    At that moment I knew I was going to use this
    to make my self a quilt. I'm so excited about this
    and can hardly wait to get started.
    Betty Lee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast