Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping track of projects >

Keeping track of projects

Keeping track of projects

Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Donna, You are not alone in being so disorganized! I am right there with you on that. In fact, I started a BOM at my LQS back in Jan. Actually, I have not even made any of the blocks,yet, due to other projects in the works...but I have dutifully picked them up each month. And, believe it, or not, I have labeled the bag with the name of the month and kept them together. The problem...at the first month we also purchased the 'completer' fabric we would need to use throughout the year. Well...i have no clue where I have 'stashed' it and no clue whatsoever what it even looks like!!! Duh!

Everyone here is giving such great storage ideas. Getting my sewing room reorganized will be my Sept. project. Right now I am busy with getting both my college daughters ready to head back to their respective campuses and getting my kdg classroom ready for another school year. Would really rather tackle my sewing room...you are all so inspirational!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:17 AM

I have a fabric cupboard in my sewing room. I have one shelf for planned projects that are kept separate in large baggies.

I then keep a running list on the side of the cupboard. (acutally a couple lists). They are :

1. TO BE FINISHED (started but the top isn't complete. I have a few stray blocks and extras that I intend to make into wall hangings.)

2. TO BE QUILTED (top is done and waiting for quilting)

3. TO DO (fabrics bought sometimes with a plan for a pattern sometimes just a color scheme I have in mind i.e. Rose and Cream Quilt)

When I acutally made my TO DO list I was amazed to see how much fabric/projects I already have on hand. I definitely don't need to buy any more until I get a few done. I have enough to keep me busy.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:19 AM

Pam B, thank goodness there's somebody else kinda like me. and ya know what, my daughter is a kindergarten teacher and she's the most organized person i've ever seen. she lives 800 miles away from me but when she comes to visit, she starts organizing "things". there's a place for everything and everything is in its place. then she goes through my closets - clothes & shoes - my quilts especially and puts them all in a pile then has me come look to see if there's anything in the pile that i don't want to part with - usually i just say yeah that's all ok. and by the way, everybody, she wants me to make her a quilt with pockets to put her feet in when she covers up, can anybody think of a way to do this, she says her feet are always coming uncovered.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by dojo36
Pam B, thank goodness there's somebody else kinda like me. and ya know what, my daughter is a kindergarten teacher and she's the most organized person i've ever seen. she lives 800 miles away from me but when she comes to visit, she starts organizing "things". there's a place for everything and everything is in its place. then she goes through my closets - clothes & shoes - my quilts especially and puts them all in a pile then has me come look to see if there's anything in the pile that i don't want to part with - usually i just say yeah that's all ok. and by the way, everybody, she wants me to make her a quilt with pockets to put her feet in when she covers up, can anybody think of a way to do this, she says her feet are always coming uncovered.
You could make her one of those "quillow" quilts -- you put a pocket at the end and then you can fold up the quilt and stick in the pocket to make a pillow when not in use. (As a "neat freak", she would probably like this.) The pocket is also good to stick your feet in :wink:
Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I agree with you Klue about sharing your studio, no way I'd share my sewing room with DH. I'm selfish with my alone time and space. I stopped by Pizza Hut and they wanted $2 for new pizza box. Larry's Pizza wanted $2 too. Mazio's gave me two boxes, the young teen working the register never heard of anyone asking for empty boxes and I bet the manager tells her to charge next time. For the price of pizza boxes I'll just buy the WalMart boxes.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 AM

thanks sewjoyce, i'll have to try one of those - i've never made one but i've heard about them.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by dojo36
thanks sewjoyce, i'll have to try one of those - i've never made one but i've heard about them.
This site seems to be pretty good one for instructions:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3721/quillow.htm

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 AM

thanks i saved the link - i'll sure have to try it sometime.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 AM

I have a cutting table that has 12 large drawers. Some of the drawers are for everyday tools, thread, etc, and the remainder house individual projects. It's been a life saver, I had to learn the hard way to cut my bindings and border first and then place them with the project.

I also have closets in my sewing room. So sometimes I use VERY large zip lock bags, put contents of in, and then hang them by a pants hanger in the closet. Easy to see, and doesn't take up much space.

Inside One Drawer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43901[/ATTACH]

Cutting Table with Lots of Storage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43902[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43901.jpe   attachment-43902.jpe  
Old 08-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
We buy sodas for DH in these boxes that are about 12" x 16" x 2".
I take two of them and cut one long side off, each, and slide them together and duct tape. I end up with about 16" x 20" x2".
Then I put a lot of tape on, to make it strong.
I have about 8 of them right now, and I put one project in each, and stack them, kind of turning them a bit, so the corners are offset. I love the organisation of them, and looking at all the fabrics, when I move them. :D
Would you post a picture of this? (Please?)
I would be more than happy to... :mrgreen: get to show off all those yummy fabrics, in my WIP's...but I have to wait for DD or somebody that help me figure out, once I download a pic, then come to post it, why it doesn't show up in my list, when I hit browse? I hit a snag the other night, and tried again, next day...nada. She doesn't get much time off, so we shall see, ok? :D