Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kenmore Sewing Machine Questions,,Please >

Kenmore Sewing Machine Questions,,Please

Kenmore Sewing Machine Questions,,Please

Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 AM

Question Kenmore Sewing Machine Questions,,Please

I have a Kenmore Sewing Machine model 158.523 does anyone here own one of these machines it has a I'm guessing it's called a Die or Disk located on top of machine under a little lid that part I'm not sure of. It was gave to me by my Sister that bought a house and this machine was sitting there in one of the bedrooms I guess the little Elderly Lady that had own the home had sew on this machine many a times.My question is when sewing it's wheel is spinning really fast But the needle is not going up and down that fast it's moving a lot slower than the wheel is going.So if this question made's any sense to you the way i have explain it to you Wonderful Group of Ladies I would be greatly Thankful to you all for any help I can get or if you own a Owners Manuel maybe you would share that with me,,,,Blessings
Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 AM

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning. Also the reason the needle is going slower than the wheel is that the clutch is probably the culprit. My Kenmore did the same thing. Took it in for a cleaning and "overhaul", and it works just fine now. This machine was undoubtedly sitting idle for quite some time.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Hi mountain mom! I have a Sears kenmore model 1803 as my go to machine. Check the bobbin winder. Is there a button there and if so it needs to be down. Not sure if that would help your problem. It sounds like you have the embroidery machine. It should have a set of cams (disks) that set in the top. Did you get a book and a bunch of boxes with it?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:04 AM

I also agree with Dollyquilt, I just had mine serviced and is running like a charm.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:11 AM

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...d=&documentId=
Old 04-08-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Sears Kenmore questions

Here's a picture of mine
Attached Thumbnails img_20160408_150856.jpg  
Old 04-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

If you look at the wheel, there probably is a large outer wheel and an inner smaller one. You turn the smaller wheel to disengage the clutch when you wind a bobbin. Turn the small wheel to see if you can tighten it. The discs that go in the top are called cams.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:36 PM

I think others have given you the likely culprit- to be sure the machine is taken off the bobbin winding mode. Second possibility is a belt is slipping that needs to be replaced. The older Kenmores are great reliable machines. Cams are fairly easy to find online. There are a couple different Kenmore cam styles so be sure to order the ones compatible with your machine. Hopefully you can download the manual from the Sears site. If you can't just pm me. I don't think I have the specific one, but many Kenmore models have similar features. Enjoy your machine!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:02 PM

My Mom had this machine and we all liked it--just so dang heavy! So my son got it when my Mom decided to go to a lightweight machine--which she hated cause it "sounded like junk with all that plastic!" Bet when you get that cleaned up and make sure the belt if good, you'll really enjoy that machine.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks Ladies,I found a manual for it off the Sears Site,,,You all are a Blessing to me thanks for your help,,,Blessings