Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kids fabric, a new direction - what to do? >

Kids fabric, a new direction - what to do?

Kids fabric, a new direction - what to do?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:37 AM

Unhappy Kids fabric, a new direction - what to do?

I have condensed all my fabric to a large size tote. The majority of that fabric lends itself to baby and kids quilted things, which is fine. The problem is, I'm sort of tired of those things and want to get back into sewing doll clothes for baby dolls and making cloth dolls.

My dilemma is, what do I do with that fabric?

My options:
1. Hang on to the fabric, just in case
2. Donate the fabric
3. Sell the fabric
4. Make some changing mats, crib quilts and try to sell them. The problem with this is right now, I just don't want to,
which leads me back to 1 - 3 above.

So my quilting friends, when you tire of a theme or thing, what have you done with the fabric? Any misgivings? Any other suggestions?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:18 AM

In all the years I have been quilting and before that sewing I've never had that problem, even when I was trying to build up my stash. I still have some fabrics that are now not so appealing but those I just threw into a string quilt or something like that. I know that now being retired I can't replace my fabrics so giving or selling isn't an option for me. I would hang on to what you have for a while and if you still feel the same way then donate or gift the fabric. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:20 AM

Get rid of the fabric. Project Linus, church sewing groups, Quilts for Kids chapters, and many others love children's fabrics and will make good use of your gift. I am doing the same thing with a large amount of fabric I have too. I don't like it any more and I see no reason to keep,looking at it <grin>.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

as long as i have the room, i'd keep it. my crafts are alternated and i sometimes leave quilting, but always come back
Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I myself would keep it just in case something came up and you need to make a baby or child's quilt. We are so easy towards discarding things so quickly and you might regret it later. After some time has passed, then you can always donate to an charity organization of your choosing.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:57 AM

If you have plenty of room, just keep it. If not donate to a charity making group or person. OR if you have plenty of $$ to buy fabric give it away. You can always buy more and it will turn into quilts made by others.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:08 AM

I would keep it for awhile in case something comes up and you need it. And after working o. Other styles for a year or two you might like to switch back to these.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Looking at your location, wondering if you're feeling this way because of the long cold winter? If I had room, I would keep it for about 6 months and then look through it again to see if it inspired me; if not I would share it with friends.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Looking at your location, wondering if you're feeling this way because of the long cold winter?
You might be on to something. I'm so sick of winter and being cold and quilts just reminds me of that. It isn't as if I do donate it spring will arrive any sooner!

I really like the fabric I kept, it's so happy and cheery and makes me smile. When I went through it over the summer I donated what I knew I really didn't like, keeping in mind what I kept would be made into smaller things, like changing mats or doll quilts. Smaller things take less time and I can spend more time on the detail and I really don't have much room for bed size quilts.

My dd has said the same thing - keep it and sew it up into what I want to make and maybe I'll fall in love with it again.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Sometimes kid fabric can be worked into a regular quilt (unless it's the licensed stuff) and looks great. I'd definitely keep it. You will like it way better after awhile. I often feel that way after finishing a quilt with a very controlled color range and have to move on to something completely different.

Btw, another reason to keep it is that many fabrics are being printed on cheaper and cheaper goods, so that the value of what you have is going up. I just pulled from one of my earliest stash boxes and was stunned to find out how substantial all of it is. I am also using 2 older Shadowplay fabrics in a quilt right now, and 2 new pieces purchased recently are waaaay thinner and very silky. It totally loses the velvety look that the older ones have.

hugs,
Charlotte, who is not going to be fooled by the upcoming week of sun. We've seen this movie before.