Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which kind of mat do you prefer >

which kind of mat do you prefer

which kind of mat do you prefer

Old 12-31-2010, 04:53 AM
Banned

good grief, do NOT buy a mat based on the color...buy it for the value...JT mats are of NO value! They will dull your blades so fast you will go broke replacing them...they are also known for being slick and causing slippage when you cut!

OLFA is the best mat.

The other ones to stay away from are the WHITE rubbery kind you always see at the quilt shows! They do not hold up to a lot of cutting!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 AM

My first mat was a Dritz. Then I ran across a 50% off sale at Joanns on their 24-36 Olfa. I love it. I have been using it for about 4 or 5 years.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
good grief, do NOT buy a mat based on the color...buy it for the value...
i can speak only for myself, of course, but a mat's color is a factor i consider when deciding whether or not i think a mat offers value for the price. after all, i'll be staring at it for hours at a time while i work. maybe it's strictly a "me thing" but there you have it, for better or for worse. :lol:

let's all remember, please, that we should be sharing our opinions based on mats we own now, have owned in the past, or have seen reliably demonstrated. let's not throw judgements around. if i've learned nothing else in my years here at the board, i've learned that not everybody is going to feel the same way about everything.

if you can't be with the mat you love ... then love the mat you're with. ;-)
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 AM

I have olfa green,gray fiskars(old one),Fiskars large 24x36 pale yellow & pale green(reversible)
I like them all for cutting..but the color does matter if you use the mat for measuring from time to time. The light colored Fiskars was difficult to get used to.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I much prefer the Olfa to June Tailor.
Me too!
me three...make sure it's self healing which ever brand you buy. i have olfa mats as old as 13 yrs and still in great shape!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
Can you lay some fabric dryer sheets on the stinky mat?...I think I would have returned it for a different one after one day.
Oh, believe me I have tried most everything. I got it on sale and didn't want to pay the price for the olfa mat. I suspect they all smell if they are the self healing kind. I put it in the closet with the well pump for the holidays hoping it would clear up; nope still smells.
That happened to me--it was a Fiskers. I wrote them to ask what to do and they sent me another one--it smelled the same!

I have olfa green,gray fiskars(old one),Fiskars large 24x36 pale yellow & pale green(reversible)
I like them all for cutting..but the color does matter if you use the mat for measuring from time to time. The light colored Fiskars was difficult to get used to.
That's the one I have and I'd prefer a darker color. Neither pink nor yellow are my favorite colors either. :lol: I'll have to wait for it to wear out. :roll:
Old 12-31-2010, 05:57 AM

i just bought the fiskars green on one side/yellow on the other side. I do like the color - the light green side is easier for me to read. I've only done one project on it and it was fine.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 AM

I have a June Taylor I got at Walmart...........no good! Then I got the Olfa and man what a difference. Waited till Joann's had them half price.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
I like the June Taylor "Cut andPress". It is so handy just to be able to cut on one side, and then turn it over and press. My first one wore out and the second one is well used. I get the press side soiled with the spray starch and I haven't found a way to clean them. I rarely get out my ironing board any more except to press a finished quilt top or iron clothes.
My first June Taylor Cut & Press warped the cutting mat horribly when I used the pressing side to ..duh...press! I took it back & Joann's gave me a new one. I use it to cut, but only press on it with that tiny little clover iron, not a 'real' iron.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 AM

My first mat was a Dritz white colored one...I wore that one right thru to the other side!

and I double checked...my 2nd one is not a June Tailor...it's also a Fiskars...self-healing, 2-sided cutting mat. It's just the prettiest color (that's why I bought it!)...it's a pinkish color on one side and a blueish/violet color on the other side.