Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits or not to kits? >

Kits or not to kits?

Kits or not to kits?

Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM

I have purchased a couple of kits from Connecting Threads. I got them on sale and figured it was such a good price that I could not resist.
Cindy
Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Well, I could have spelled her name right! Jinny Beyer
here is the kit I bought: http://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commerc...EE70565FC3FA63
Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM
lue

I bought McKenna Ryan patterns at a lovely quilt shop in Montana but didn't buy the kits. I've bought the fabrics for them but I think I would have done better to buy the kits since I bought more fabric than needed. On the other hand, I can use the fabrics in other quilts because they are so lovely. Either way works.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Vat

I have never bought one, but I agree Jenny Byers are awesome. You don't get much better than that.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 PM

[quote=Monstookie]How does everyone feel about buying quilt kits? Good or bad? If good....are there favorite shops/sites you like. I think I've always been nervous about the quality of fabric...etc. But I have seen some pretty ones listed on the web.[/quotI

I have a friend who makes really beautiful complicated very large quilts from kits...Almost all of her quilts are from kits, because she says she hates the cutting out part...she just follows the directions and sews!
Me, I have never made a kit...soooo what can I say?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 PM

I have only bought 3, but all from www.fussycutter.com. I was thrilled with the colors and fabric used. Her quilt kits are made different than most. On her site you can buy as many or as few precut blocks as you need for your project size. I just love that. I am not affiliated with her. Her prices are very reasonable.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM

I am glad this subject came up - I am new to quilting, having only sewn a panel (storybook) one where I sewed around the picture blocks (years ago) - and I was thinking of getting a kit or so to help me learn. I know nothing about colors, and some of the neat quilts I see on TV or in tutorials, they look great but I am not sure I would have put those colors together - but then I don't know yet what goes together. I am thinking it could provide step-by-step instruction and that would be good while I learn. I am encouraged to hear that fabric shortage does not appear to be a big issue in the kits you have gotten.
Marysewfun
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 PM

I prefer to pick my own combinations within my moods. Just my thoughts. Kits are great, but I want something that is just mine. When I have bought kits, it's because they were on sale and I added the fabrics to my stash, or improvised on the patterns. I do think kits are a good way to improve your skills, or practice new blocks.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Connecting threads always gives plenty of fabric and they are great deals when they go on sale.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 PM

I have bought a couple kits before but I like to chose my own fabric so I usually don't buy kits. Just depends too if I love the fabric in the kit then I would buy it maybe.