Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits vs Stash >

Kits vs Stash

Kits vs Stash

Old 11-13-2020, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I've heard on this board some people will make their own kits for something like having surgery etc, so they can sew but not have to do all the other stuff like cutting, etc. Good idea.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:06 AM

I have used several kits, several patterns and pulled from my stash or shopped over the years, bought pre cuts....then had to figure out how to use them (seems in precuts always have something left over that did not get used.), and just started making scrap squares...like 9 patches...then figured out how to use them once made, done some improve blocks....everything is good...mixing it up is fine....currently...like just polling stuff from stash and stitching....made 7 flannel lap quilts...each of which was different, and made from scraps....cut scraps to uniform sizes....made blocks...then figured out what to do with them....the last scrappy lap quilt and all the left overs in it....I was trying to channel how quilts where originally made, of bits of fabric salvaged from other things, to create useful quilts... It was fun. I think I will do the mystery quilt this year...using fabrics I already have...and because I don't have to think what to do...just wait for the next clue...
Old 11-13-2020, 11:52 AM

I have never ordered a kit, because I have enough to last a lifetime of 50 more yrs if that would be possible.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:08 PM

My very first quilt was made from a kit. I still love the colors and my animals love it too. I've only bought one other kit and while we use the quilt every day, it's definitely not my favorite. I prefer to use my stash now. It gets my creative juices flowing.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:15 PM

I am almost the only quilter I know without much of a stash. I am a minimalist by nature, and having stacks of fabrics isn’t something I do. I buy fabric for a specific purpose, be it for a quilt or a garment or a bag. I do occasionally buy kits, but I don’t always make the quilt the kit is for. I sometimes do part of it that way, then change the layout or size or borders or ... I do have a few totes full of scraps though, and I am gradually cutting those up into smaller pieces like 2 1/2” squares or larger. Hopefully I will get motivated to make a scrap quilt or five.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:16 PM

I'm also one of those who like to use what I have and get my creative juices flowing. I always think, once I use up most of my stash, then I will buy a kit. Don't think that will ever happen.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:08 PM

I rarely buy kits. I used to work at the LQS and I made kits to sell in the store. Now, when I am sorting my stash, I will put together my own kits out of the fabrics I have on hand. Then next time I look at it...sometimes I wonder what I was thinking and take them apart. I like to chose my own fabrics when I chose a pattern.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

When I started quilting, I bought 2 kits- a baby size (triangles), and a queen size (log cabin). After that I decided to start choosing my own fabrics for patterns. I now tend to do much the same, with a kit from stash to change things up.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:54 PM

I have somehow ended up with quite a few kits, though it was never my intention to buy kits, LOL. Sometimes I'll see a kit I like and they'll offer the option of just buying the pattern, and then I'll buy that rather than the kit. It seems they offer that option less and less nowadays. I once bought a kit for the fabric, because no one had any of the yardage anymore (it was vastly reduced). I do regret buying a couple of the kits, as they no longer appeal to me.

I haven't made any of the kits yet, as I intend to work through my stash first. I figure (if all goes well) that I will end my quilting days making up those kits.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:28 AM

I just bought another kit with my 40% coupon. This one is rather scrappy and came with 32 fat eighths, a charm pack and a package of laser cut pieces ready for applique. Its a Christmas quilt so as soon as I get it all washed, I can get to playing. I checked and shrinkage of the smaller cuts won't cause any problems. BTW - this is a pattern from 2019 so the fabric is not current.

This is a good example of when I'll buy a kit
1. I really like it exactly how it is in the kit.
2. Decent discount
3. Lots of coordinating fabric, especially smaller yardage that I can't buy in that small of a measure
4. A pattern that I would not want to draft up myself
5. Older kit and fabric is not available anymore