Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a known bleeder >

a known bleeder

a known bleeder

Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 AM

Don't use them.i had the same problem. I tried everything to stop the bleeding. Thought it was good...it wasn't. The cheapskate in me used it anyway. Guess what I have some pinkish whites. Save yourself the aggravation.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 AM

I always put my bleeding fabric into the washing machine along with a box of baking soda. Fill the machine with warm water and agitate for a minute or so to dissolve the baking soda. Turn the washing machine off and let is soak overnight and then in the morning let it go through the regular cycle without detergent. It will remove the "pink" from your white stripes and also set the red in the rest of your fabric. I was taught this by a woman who owned a fabric store and I have used it for years with excellent results.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:42 PM

I have had a lot of different colors bleed, but I check them BEFORE I CUT. There is a dye fixative made by Rit Dye Company (distributed by Phoenix Brands) which I use and which will permanently set the dyes in fabrics. I use it on every red I've ever used, and I've tested the fabric in hot water AFTER treatment. I've had other colors bleed, including a very deep blue/black printed fabric. As mentioned above, I will treat the fabric and test it once the treatment process is completed. If it still bleeds, it's gone -- I won't put that much work in a quilt and then have it ruined by washing. AND, DISCRETION BEING THE BETTER PART OF VALOR, I WILL WASH ALL QUILTS USING COLOR CATCHERS IN THE WASH.

I have no financial interest in Rit Dye Company or Phoenix Brands. I just use the Rit Laundry Treatment Dye Fixative on fabrics that initially bleed, and I DO re-test the fabrics after treatment -- the product works!

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 09-22-2016 at 11:45 PM.