Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona/Bella/Confetti Cottons >

Kona/Bella/Confetti Cottons

Kona/Bella/Confetti Cottons

Old 04-05-2021, 08:28 AM

Dear PeaceandJoy: I am impressed by your research method. I assume your original posting had the photos. Is it possible for you to refer us back to that? I would love to see the pics. Again, thanks for your work in the comparisons.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:52 AM

So , which fabrics have less ravel that you recomend for us to buy? Thank You!
Old 04-06-2021, 05:59 AM

I have tried repeatedly and in different browsers to attach pictures... No idea why it is not working. The album is in my Facebook, for those who have FB.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2001936&type=3

For those who do not have FB, if you message me your email, I will send them in an email attachment.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:12 AM

The only one that I would absolutely avoid is Kona. I have, in the past, purchased Kona white @ the big box store. Many believe that the Kona sold @ those stores is different than Kona sold in quilt shops - but Robert Kaufman, the manufacturer, says it is all the same.

I would also NOT choose Painter's Palette by Paintbrush Studios, as it felt heavier than most quilting fabric. Unless I was making a quilt out of all solids and could use only PP fabrics, which would be difficult as they do not currently carry many colors.

If you use a lot of solids, investing in a color swatch card may be worth it. Color is hard to read on a computer monitor. Alternatively, if you have a current line that you are trying to match, you can check on Fat Quarter Shop's website to see if they carry it. If they do, they will often list solids that coordinate well.

Also - note that even the Kona, when torn to get a straight edge, did not fray nearly as much as it does when cutting from lengths that are straightened in the more traditional way (sliding selvage to selvage until it hangs straight). I know that many quilters refuse to accept tearing, but it really is the best way to get a true straight of grain, as opposed to simply a straight edge.

Art Gallery Pure feels wonderful, and even after removing the selvage, has one of the widest widths. I am using it in a quilt I am currently working on.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I'm using Robert Kauffman Kona Horizon fabric layer cake and have not noticed any fraying. I'm making hsts with it.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:43 AM

Okay, I have figured out why pictures were not posting! Will have to do it over several messages. These are American Made and Art Gallery Fabrics Pure.
Attached Thumbnails american-made-1.jpg   american-made-2.jpg   art-gallery-1.jpg   art-gallery-2.jpg  

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 04-06-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:44 AM

I was not scrolling all the way to the right to the little upload button! These are Bella Silky White and Bella Solids Bleached White.
Attached Thumbnails bella-silky-white-1.jpg   bella-silky-white-2.jpg   bella-solids-bleached-white-1.jpg   bella-solids-bleached-white-2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:46 AM

These are Kona White and Northcott Colorworks.
Attached Thumbnails kona-1.jpg   kona-2.jpg   northcott-colorworks-1.jpg   northcott-colorworks-2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2021, 11:48 AM

Next up, Painter's Palette and Riley Blake Confetti.
Attached Thumbnails painters-palette-1.jpg   painters-palette-2.jpg   riley-blake-confetti-1.jpg   riley-blake-confetti-2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 PM

My video clips showing me ruffling the edges won't attach, they are mp4 files which are not an acceptable format. No idea how to change them to anything else.