Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is "Kona" cotton a brand name or is it generic like "muslin" >

Is "Kona" cotton a brand name or is it generic like "muslin"

Is "Kona" cotton a brand name or is it generic like "muslin"

Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 AM

The Kona at my local Joann's does NOT say it's by Kaufman on the bolt. The Kaufman Kona is so much nicer! If you can get it on sale, it's not that much more than the Joann's fabric and you will be much happier. Once it's washed, you barely have to iron the Kaufman Kona...it feels so much nicer too!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 AM

Just be careful and look for the Kaufman name when you see solids called Kona. Kona...like Bali, Tonga, New York, Chicago, or Podunk...is simply a place on the globe.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
link to a previous discussion where a Kaufman rep contributed to this debate:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t33854-4.html

I personally don't think that Joann's "kona" is the same as Kaufman Kona, it feels quite inferior to the kona I get at my LQS.
thanks for posting this link. it is a very informative thread if you read it from start to finish.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 AM

If you go to the Kaufman web site you will see there is more than one fabric line with the Kona name inculded. I think I recall seeing about 6 or 7 . So just seeing the name Kona does not give the apples to apples comparison. Look at all of the info on the end of the bolt.
Same is true for muslin , as far as looking at more than the name on the end of the bolt.... one manufacture has at least 8-10 different grades or specifications ..again look at all of the info on the end of the bolt. I had a freind tell me about this great bargain on muslin ... she bought lots of it. It had the same manufacture as the one I typically purchase. She focused only on the name... Well what she bought was this particular companies low end muslin... low thread count , lots of shrinkage , and more wrinkles than a prune. The muslin I purchased was higher end , high thread count, minimal shrinkage, and ironed just as nice as any LQS fabric.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Joanns I think sells what is called griege goods where its the same manufacturer but it is printed on a different quality fabric to test out new lines and what not LQS do not buy griege good(don't know if thats spelled right which is why their prices are higher

No, "griege" simply means in the raw state, before dyeing or anything:

“Greige” (pronounced “grey”) or “Greige goods” are simply terms to refer to fabric in the raw state, before bleaching, dyeing or finishing processes.

Greige Goods and the Production Process
“Greige” (pronounced “grey”) or “Greige goods” are simply terms to refer to fabric in the raw state, before bleaching, dyeing or finishing processes.

First quality goods can have variations in look and weaving pattern due to the different types of weaving machines that are used in weaving the greige goods. This difference in weave look in no way suggests a lesser quality, but only a difference in weaving style.

The first step in the dyeing process is called lab dipping. Lab dipping entails dipping a small swatch of fabric in dye to match a specific color standard. Sometimes many dips are necessary before a color is approved. Once approved, a bulk dye formulation is made. Bulk dyeing is done in lots. Lot sizes can be 2000 yards or more. This lab dipping process uses “prepared for dye” greige of the same quality that will ultimately be used for bulk production.

Robert Kaufman uses the same quality greige and dyes for all customers purchasing Kona Cotton Solids - all customers receive the same product. We have never produced a lesser grade of Kona for any customer. All seconds are rejected prior to leaving the mill.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 AM

I think sometimes our preconceptions affect how we "see" things. If someone tells me , say, Walmarts fabrics are no good" (not that I think that, I buy there all the time) then the next time I go there, I'm going to be looking at it with a critical eye and if I have any doubts they're going to be pushed to the negative side.

I'd loooove to see a totally blind test to see if people really can tell a difference, that would be very telling, I think.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 AM

my Wal-Mart carries two grades of quilting fabric: 'nice' and 'garbage' ... they don't have Kona® at all
Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
The Kona at my local Joann's does NOT say it's by Kaufman on the bolt. The Kaufman Kona is so much nicer! If you can get it on sale, it's not that much more than the Joann's fabric and you will be much happier. Once it's washed, you barely have to iron the Kaufman Kona...it feels so much nicer too!

Exactly! My JA's doesn't say Robert Kaufman Kona on it. Yet, all the quilt stores and even Beverly Fabrics clearly has Kona with Robert Kaufman bolts.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Robert Kaufman produces Kona solids ... haven't seen Kaufman Kona at Joann's. Hobby Lobby has Kaufman Konas in at least 20-30 shades, I often buy it there - and it is just as good as the LQS. You can tell by the smooth hand and the weave, there's a definite difference.

Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-01-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM

My Jo-anns doesn't stock Kona any more.... But Hobby Lobby does! Much better feel than what the stuff at Jo-anns offers now...