Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Kona Cotton Fabric

Kona Cotton Fabric

Does anyone know if Connecting Threads solids compare to Kona? I have never ordered from Connecting Threads so not familiar with quality and weight.

I prefer the Kona over the Connecting Threads solids it seems thicker and more body. Others may have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I prefer the Kona over the Connecting Threads solids it seems thicker and more body. Others may have a different opinion.

I would agree. I bought some Kona for the first time a while back and could not believe the feel of it. So nice.

Haven't used Kona but do like the CT solids very much.

I love the fabrics from Connecting Threads -- I just wish they had a bit more variety to choose from. The prices are the best, too! Where else can you buy any amount of fabric (including jelly rolls and charm squares) and still only pay the regular price per yard? There is no additional charge for cutting the fabrics into smaller pieces.....

Good information on both types of fabrics. Thank you ladies for sharing your thoughts.

Same here.
    Linda

Thanks for your info. I really like Kona, but hadn't used CT. I'll be machine embroidering on it for a baby quilt.

I have used both, if I was going to embroidery on it I would use Kona as it has a lot more body to it and I think it would look better.

RST
    Blog Entries
    My experience with CT "quilter's candy" solids was disappointing. The price was right, the color options were lovely. But the fabric is quite thin, and when I pressed it with steam, it shrank before my eyes -- like 2 inches size reduction on a fat quarter. It also frays readily, and is linty.

I have used it mixed with quilt shop and Kona fabrics in quilts. To be fair, it has held up ok in washings (2 or 3 thus far) ijn terms of not distorting or shrinking (medium to heavy densely quilted top). It has faded somewhat more than the Kona solids in the same top.

So -- my take. Use it advisedly. I think that it's super for the price, and I'll use it in quick and easy little projects -- great for a doll quilt, or for placemats, or even if you need that particular color for a wall hanging. But I am going to try to avoid using it on major projects where I've invested a lot of time and higher end fabrics.

RST

You can get kona at fabric.com for 4.50/yd with a 20% off coupon. I used AMZN20 yesterday on 2 yards of kona snow. Leaves me more money to spend on prints at my lqs if I can save on kona solids online.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I just got some CT fabric in the mail yesterday. It is so thin. Way too thin! I have Kona solids and I love them. They are about the best fabric I've bought. Spend the extra money and go with Kona. You won't be disappointed like I was. I know CT costs so much less, but the quality isn't there.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I like Kona, but have any of you tried Moda Bella Solids. They are wonderful and large range of colors, even 30's reproduction colors.

Blog Entries
    I use both CT and Kona. The CT is a tad thinner and sometimes I want that thinness on a project. You should try both and then decide.

Kona is my favorite fabric, although recently, I ordered solids from CT and really liked them. I thought they felt more luxurious than Kona and they were a dream to work with....but I can get Kona locally so, CT will be for special occasions!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I can always rely on Kona cottons to be some of the best.CT fabric varies.

All the advice here is much appreciated by me too!

Power Poster
    I used Kona on a quilt for my daughter. It is/was heavier weight than the focus fabric - it held up better than the focus fabric.

I think it's a nice fabric, but a trifle unwieldy. I would not use it for small applique pieces.

I haven't bought any for years, but when I did, I found that there was a variation in the dye lots.

I would recommend buying all one needs of a given color at one time.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 04-16-2012 at 10:29 AM.

I've used both. If you are inclined to embroider on CT fabric, use a fusible stabilizer/interfacing, i.e., ShirTail; otherwise, I'd use Kona. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by misskira View Post
    You can get kona at fabric.com for 4.50/yd with a 20% off coupon. I used AMZN20 yesterday on 2 yards of kona snow. Leaves me more money to spend on prints at my lqs if I can save on kona solids online.
    Thanks for the info. Kona is my favorite. It has more body than most cotton solids. I do a lot of machine embroidered quilt blocks and it works really well.

I know I'm a weird but I don't like Kona at all. I think it's entirely too thick & stiff. I do like Moda solids. I've bought solids from CT but can't remember how they were. I get lots of stuff from CT & like all of it so I'm sure their solids were fine, too.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Have you tried Moda Bella solids? Same quality as Kona but feel a lot smoother. I put the fabric swatch card when t first came out and now I feel more confident about buying from a website knowing that the fabric that I get is the correct color.
    Carmen E.

personally I do not like their fabrics, to flimsy. Does not compare to good quality cotton. JMHO
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Blog Entries
    I love Kona solids and prefer them over anyone else's.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone