Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kona Cotton

I know what you mean about the stiffness of the Kona, though. It isn't a very supple, soft feel. But it is extremely sturdy. Just depends on what you're wanting to use it for. Love the moda solids too. Have used the ones that "work" with Fig Tree colors and it has a sheen and is gorgeous!!

Love Kona 'Snow' Kona 'Black' is great also. I like their solids the colors are so pretty and easy to match with other fabrics. I do think that some are softer that others.

Just finished an entire top made of Kona cottons. It is made all in 1" finished horizontal strips, all pieced...and makes a picture of a dot matrix video game when put together. I had never used Kona much but they had the huge number of shades that I needed on equilter...so I ordered and sewed. Now I cannot pick up the top or move it without a seam or two popping open. My 1/4" seam allowances are decent...but the material seems to be more loosely woven than what I'm used to; I usually use batiks and other stuff from JoAnns, Hancocks or my LQS. Not happy with this Kona stuff!!!! I think my next step is to hand baste it carefully to a backing (white sheet probably) so I can move it around enough to layer and quilt it. Will NEVER use Kona again in any large quantity in a quilt!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey
    Just finished an entire top made of Kona cottons. It is made all in 1" finished horizontal strips, all pieced...and makes a picture of a dot matrix video game when put together. I had never used Kona much but they had the huge number of shades that I needed on equilter...so I ordered and sewed. Now I cannot pick up the top or move it without a seam or two popping open. My 1/4" seam allowances are decent...but the material seems to be more loosely woven than what I'm used to; I usually use batiks and other stuff from JoAnns, Hancocks or my LQS. Not happy with this Kona stuff!!!! I think my next step is to hand baste it carefully to a backing (white sheet probably) so I can move it around enough to layer and quilt it. Will NEVER use Kona again in any large quantity in a quilt!!!!!
    I don't understand this. Kona cotton has always been the sturdiest fabric I've ever bought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey
    I don't understand this. Kona cotton has always been the sturdiest fabric I've ever bought.
    i've also always had consistently satifying results with kona.

i'd be inclined to wonder about the thread used and not the kona.

I have used Southern Belle and love it ... Have had good results using this for photo transfers, applique and piecing it is a beautiful fabric.
    Sue

I've found Kona to fray!

I've found Kona to fray!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Kas, have you tried Moda Bella Solids? They are broadcloth, like the Kona Solids, but they have a softer hand and a bit of a sheen to them. You might like them better. Not quite as many colors, but only slightly more expensive.
    I love the Moda Bella Solids for the same reason. Last quilt I made called for cream and it was a nice weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Love it, have you checked Fabric.com?? Free ship with 35.00 purchase. I love that place :D
    I just ordered 8 yards of a stripe from Fabric.com (I'm making three twin quilts to match and needed the strips for the border). The fabric is great, the quality is great, the price was also great. The shipping was free; however, it did take over a week to get here.

I use it for almost all my solid projects. It seems to me you can't see through it like ypu can so many whites.

With 1930's reproduction fabrics, I have always used Kona
    solid in the "snow" colour. But I plan to try some of the newer solids on the market now.

Blog Entries
    Which store did you go to?

Hancock is having the Kona on sale next week for 2.99 a yard

Quote Originally Posted by biloxigirl
    Hancock is having the Kona on sale next week for 2.99 a yard
    I didn't think it would be that cheap, so I looked it up on my sales paper. You are incorrect; it is 53% off. That makes it even better -- $2.81 per yard. It starts September 9.

This is Hancock Fabrics, not Hancock's of Paducah.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Kas, have you tried Moda Bella Solids? They are broadcloth, like the Kona Solids, but they have a softer hand and a bit of a sheen to them. You might like them better. Not quite as many colors, but only slightly more expensive.
    I agree! I prefer the Moda Bella Solids over the Kona cotton hands down. Try it!

I actually love working with Kona Snow and have used in for several projects - embroidery and quilting

I use Kona cotton solids all the time and have never had a problem. Love it.

I buy Kona cotton from Hobby Lobby using my 40 percent off coupon that they have at least every other week. It is $5.99 before the coupon.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE Kona!!!!!!!!! Really like to see it on sale and it will be on sale tomorrow for 53% off at Hancock's. It will be on sale from Thurs (tomorrow), Sept 9 - Sun, Sept 12th. I use it a lot for lining in handbags, but have used it in quilts.

Blog Entries
    Our Hobby Lobby has Kona 30% off every day and they won't let us use the 40% off coupon for it.

i use white kona cotton a lot of times just remember to wash it first before using it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kellen46
    I have been to the store....and it is heaven....a full acre of fabric, most of it at a discount....ohhh I just kept stacking up bolts, with instructions...two yards of this stack, one yard of this...in the end I had two carts and a helper out to my car. Oh dear thank goodness, a: it was on an empty credit card, b: I had a small stash at home so there was room on the shelves and c: I can live on peanut butter sandwiches and cold cereal. And thank goodness I live a days drive away, however while a and b are no longer true c is so stitch away.
    you are my kind of fabric shopper!

Quote Originally Posted by TacoMama
    Our Hobby Lobby has Kona 30% off every day and they won't let us use the 40% off coupon for it.
    Ours does.

I thought I saw Kona at my Joann's but not sure. I know I passed it up because I didn't like the "hand" and remember some other negative postings of it on here a while back.

I prefer Moda...for almost everything, but there are a lot of positive reviews on here also for Kona. Get a small piece and try it out. At least you wouldn't be committed with a lot of money invested or be stuck with something that you didn't like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast