Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kona Cotton

I love Kona! Thinking of getting some of that too at that price.

Blog Entries
    Our Hancock's will let us use the 40% coupon if something is 30%, but Hobby Lobby doesn't. Looks like all Hobby Lobbys would have the same rules.

I use white Kona. Wonderful for Redwork projects.

My Hobby Lobby lets us use either the 30% mark-down OR the 40% coupon, but not both.

I just read some reviews on Jo-Ann's website that the Kona solids they stock are not the same as the Kona solids in LQSs. Is that right?

For 30's fabrics, try using Kona Snow. It's still white, without the starkness. I have used it successfullly on 3 30's era quilts. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Well, excuse my stupidity, but I thought Kona was Kona. Never heard about it being different in another store. We don't have a JoAnn's, but there is one about 40 miles away that has just opened. Will have to investigate that when I get to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Char
    I buy and use the Kona black and use it all the time. The 6 yard deal at Fabric Depot can't be beat!
    same here, I use the black all the time and have even shared it with my niece. I also got my bolt of black at Fabric Depot. My favorite store. I'm so lucky to live only a few blocks away.

Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    Kona cotton is my favorite for solids!!! Fabric Depot has the best prices and quick turnaround.

I use the Kona Cotton white with my 1930's and love it.I got some today at Hancocks for 40% off.

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaSt
    Do you use Kona Cotton, especially the White? I'm looking for something substantial enough to use in a 1930's pattern that calls for lots of white. Fabric Depot has it on sale...all colors...for $4.55 a yard right now, but I've not used it before and wanted your opinions on it. Thanks!
    As a Hawaiian quilter, I exclusively use Kona Cotton fabric. The weight is nice and it is consistent. Good price, I think.

Re the reviews of Kona at Joann's website: Of the eight reviews, all were extremely positive except these two. I eliminated the names.

Would not buy again!
    Reviewed 03/20/2010

I made the mistake of buying this fabric at JoAnn instead of my local quilt shop- I won't make the mistake again! This is NOT the same Kona you get from Kaufman- not now, not ever! The drape is fine, until it is washed and used a few times, then it is as cheap and flimsy feeling as much cheaper fabric- and fades, too. The stores will never have the amazing color selection, because it is not the same fabric- just the same price! Don't be fooled!

Reviewed 04/08/2009

I agree that this IS not the same base (greige goods) fabric as the Kona sold to Quilting shops. It seems to have a lower thread count than the Kona I've bought from Kaufman before. I ran out of a color that had been purchased at a quilt shop, and bought more at JoAnn thinking it would match. The color was good, but the fabric is thinner - with a lower thread count! I won't be purchasing from JoAnn again! There are many other places to purchase the real thing, in all the 100+ colors availale online! Shame on Kaufman for putting their name and brand on something that really isn't the same product!

this subject has been brought up before.

joann carries a line of kona that kona makes to meet joanns price point. in effect kona then has 2 lines: (1) the better one, that you buy from your LQS. this costs more because it's better quality and also the store is not buying 1000 bolts at one time for the greatly reduced price, and (2) the stuff you buy at a place like joanns, where kona produces a lesser quality product in agreement with what joanns wants. joanns then pays a lower price to the maker (kona) and in return, kona has a guaranteed outlet for their (inferior) goods. win-win. except for you.

if you want the better kona, buy it from a better store, or buy it from a reputable online dealer. if you use a lot of it, buy a big batch on sale and get free shipping.

I use Kona quite often; I usually try to stick with Kaufman because I can be sure of the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ToucanSam
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Kas, have you tried Moda Bella Solids? They are broadcloth, like the Kona Solids, but they have a softer hand and a bit of a sheen to them. You might like them better. Not quite as many colors, but only slightly more expensive.
    I agree! I prefer the Moda Bella Solids over the Kona cotton hands down. Try it!
    I have used Kona and was not impressed, frayed, felt thin and stiff - it did the job and the price was right (sale at Hancocks) but I do love Moda. However, LQS's have a very limited supply, if any at all of the Bella solids.

Missouri Start Quilt Company's daily deal today was Moda Bella white at $2.98/yd (I think). Their domestic shipping rate is a flat $5. If I needed more than just 2 or 3 yds of it. or anything else, I'd order it at those prices.

Do you use Kona Cotton, especially the White? I'm looking for something substantial enough to use in a 1930's pattern that calls for lots of white. Fabric Depot has it on sale...all colors...for $4.55 a yard right now, but I've not used it before and wanted your opinions on it. Thanks!
    Love, love, love LOVE Kona cottons! They are my favorite solids!

Solid white cotton yardage was Missouri Star Quilting Company's Deal of the Day.... Very cheap... hurry, they do not sell low quality fabric! Just looked... 2.95/yd for up to 3 yards. If you do not take advantage of this, you may love their site as much as I do!

I like Kona cotton. I buy it a Hobby Lobby. They also sell it at Joann's, but the weave is looser and not good quality.

Thanks, Butterflywing, for reminding me to check the archives on what's been discussed before. There was a very informative response by the Robert Kaufman Co.about this in January this year that I missed. topic.http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33854-3.htm

i just reread that link. i'm sorry, but there is definitely a difference in quality between kona fabrics. if not, then you have to lock a lot of us up, because i'm not the only one who noticed the difference. it's also true that joanns does not sell the higher-quality kona. again, many agree with me. if they're not getting it from kauffman, why does it say "KONA"? i've gotten kona from many places and the quality has been of 2 levels - definitely! the good online stores and good LQS all have higher quality kona - better drape, closer weave, better washability - and the cheap chains (we know who they are) do not. what they do have is filled with sizing, stiff as a board, see-through, and gets limp when washed. imo, not decent quilt quality for the hours i spend on my work. especially for the same price per yard. if you believe what you read, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Blog Entries
    I get kona black by the bolt and I like it, so far all has been good

me too. online.

Blog Entries
    Personally think cona cotton a wonderful fabric to work with and making quilts. Some fabrics are so flimsy and not worth spending all the effort .

Bev
    I believe someone else asked this a couple of weeks ago. I hope she got the right answer to solve her problem. I answered that I use Kona's "Snow" because it seems to go so well with the 30s prints and fabric. The heft of Kona's fabrics is just right and it sews so smoothly.
    I usually get mine from Hancock's of Padukah, but yesterday I found someplace that had it even cheaper. I just can't remember at this moment where it was. The thing is, just put it in your search line and compare prices. It's never terribly expensive. I don't get it at Joann's because they don't seem to have the same quality of fabrics as the other fabric stores.
    8-)

love Kona its great quality made by Robert Kaufmann lots of beautiful colrs and you can see and feel the quality,

Banned
    I've used Kona cotton many times and although it certainly is sturdy, personally I think it's a little heavy for a lot of projects, especially if combined with lighter-weight fabrics in a quilt. Doesn't seem quite right somehow. I usually have used the black and as I always prewash my fabrics to avoid bleeding and uneven shrinkage, it seems to me that the black looks sort of "used" or faded in a way before I've even cut it out.

I think I'm going to look for a different line of solids to use if I can find one with a nice firm-but-not-heavy hand, and that prewashes nicely. Recommendations?

Dana

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast