Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona Cotton >

Kona Cotton

Kona Cotton

Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Kona solids are some of the best solids on the market! there are different whites...kona snow is the whitest white; just remember which one you get so if you need more later you can match it...and at that price, i'd buy alot! i think the lowest i've found it was $6.50 :)
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM

I've used both Kona and Moda solids in dollmaking. Sturdy enough for me and my aggressive stuffing.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM

I've used Kona and never had a problem with. And if you can get it on sale, all the more.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

I've used the Kona white, and didn't have any issues with it.
Sounds like you've found decent prices too!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Kona is the best you can buy. Excellent quality.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM

I know what you mean about the stiffness of the Kona, though. It isn't a very supple, soft feel. But it is extremely sturdy. Just depends on what you're wanting to use it for. Love the moda solids too. Have used the ones that "work" with Fig Tree colors and it has a sheen and is gorgeous!!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Love Kona 'Snow' Kona 'Black' is great also. I like their solids the colors are so pretty and easy to match with other fabrics. I do think that some are softer that others.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 AM

Just finished an entire top made of Kona cottons. It is made all in 1" finished horizontal strips, all pieced...and makes a picture of a dot matrix video game when put together. I had never used Kona much but they had the huge number of shades that I needed on equilter...so I ordered and sewed. Now I cannot pick up the top or move it without a seam or two popping open. My 1/4" seam allowances are decent...but the material seems to be more loosely woven than what I'm used to; I usually use batiks and other stuff from JoAnns, Hancocks or my LQS. Not happy with this Kona stuff!!!! I think my next step is to hand baste it carefully to a backing (white sheet probably) so I can move it around enough to layer and quilt it. Will NEVER use Kona again in any large quantity in a quilt!!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Just finished an entire top made of Kona cottons. It is made all in 1" finished horizontal strips, all pieced...and makes a picture of a dot matrix video game when put together. I had never used Kona much but they had the huge number of shades that I needed on equilter...so I ordered and sewed. Now I cannot pick up the top or move it without a seam or two popping open. My 1/4" seam allowances are decent...but the material seems to be more loosely woven than what I'm used to; I usually use batiks and other stuff from JoAnns, Hancocks or my LQS. Not happy with this Kona stuff!!!! I think my next step is to hand baste it carefully to a backing (white sheet probably) so I can move it around enough to layer and quilt it. Will NEVER use Kona again in any large quantity in a quilt!!!!!
I don't understand this. Kona cotton has always been the sturdiest fabric I've ever bought.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
Originally Posted by teacherbailey
I don't understand this. Kona cotton has always been the sturdiest fabric I've ever bought.
i've also always had consistently satifying results with kona.

i'd be inclined to wonder about the thread used and not the kona.