Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona Solid Red >

Kona Solid Red

Kona Solid Red

Old 03-14-2021, 03:34 PM

Question Kona Solid Red

Hi,

Has anyone used the solid red Kona cotton and had a problem with it running? I love the Kona cottons, however, I have no experience using their solid red and don't want to buy it and find out that it runs.

I just avoided a disaster with a solid red (manufacturer unknown) that I was going to use to border a top I made with some diamonds that were cut out by my great-grandmother in the late 1940's to early 1950's. At just the last minute I decided to wash the red fabric and I am so grateful that I did. The first time I washed it the water was as red as the fabric itself. The second time I washed it I added both vinegar and salt to help set the dye. It is now on its third wash and the water is still quite pink so I won't be using it at all.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 03-14-2021, 03:54 PM

I have a Kona red (I don’t remember what the color name is) that I used in a log cabin quilt. I don’t have issues with it bleeding when washed in the quilt. I do pre-wash my fabric.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:27 PM

I never have a problem with Kona Red
Old 03-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Vinegar and salt won't set modern dyes. Use Retayne instead.

You're smart to give up on that red fabric that runs. I tend to trust the Kona solids.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:05 PM

I prewash every fabric as l bring it in the house before allowing it in my stash. I too find Kona solids are reliable. But l'd still wash to get that first shrinkage out of the way. I found that as l mix a variety of cottons from various sources, l seldom get distortion.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:26 AM

With red or turquoise, I would pre-wash and use Retayne.
It's one small step that could save you a lot of grief later.
Also, take the quilt out of the washer as soon as it's done. You can get transfer if you leave it wet in a heap.

Watson
Old 03-15-2021, 09:18 AM

Thank you all! I too have always trusted Kona and will order some of their red today. I don't know why I didn't think about using the Retayne. I guess it's because when using it in the past it was only with fabric that I dyed myself. However, I am still going toss the red as I will never trust using it.

I used to wash all of my fabrics before putting it in my stash. I stopped pre-washing when I started using fabrics from my stash with precuts as I didn't want some of the fabric to be pre-shrunk and the rest not. I was afraid that the fabric that hadn't been pre-shrunk would end up looking different (bunched up) in the quilt once it quilted and then washed. I still do, however, wash the fabric in my stash, especially the older darker colors, before using it.

Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2021, 04:38 PM

I use a lot of Kona solids. I treat most of the dark colors in Retayne.. Yes, red, black, green, blue, purple, anything dark. After soaking in Retayne, I wash with a color catcher. I have had all kinds of colors bleed including dark pinks, aquas, etc. I believe in being safe and not ruining a quilt. Fabric costs too much and my time is worth something. I don't want to ruin a quilt and my time by not treating my fabrics. This is of course MHO.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:55 AM

I always pre wash all reds.