Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
labeling fabric stash >

labeling fabric stash

labeling fabric stash

Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how much fabric I have. That is part of the fun for me when I find a pattern I like: Do I have enough fabric - or rather, what fabric will it be? So I start pulling out my bins and audition. Often, the final choice is way different than my original idea because of the stash.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 PM

label? measure?

girl, what language are you speaking?

spontaneity is the spice of my life. and apparently, also, madquilter's.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 PM

sorry. apparently not quilters language.

i am a sewer not a quilter as i guess you have figured out. when sewing it is very important to know how much fabric you have before you start.

maybe i am way over my head and should just stick to sewing.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by siss
sorry. apparently not quilters language.

i am a sewer not a quilter as i guess you have figured out. when sewing it is very important to know how much fabric you have before you start.

maybe i am way over my head and should just stick to sewing.
When your stash gets big enough, "scrap" quilting takes on a whole new dimension.

All kidding aside, I think that many of us have a basic idea of what (and roughly how much) fabric we have in reserve and go from there. I also like multi-colored patterns so the need for large pieces is not as crucial because fat quarters often do the trick.

When you make a 2-color quilt for example, or any specific non-scrappy pattern, it is important to have the right amount of fabric just as in "regular sewing."

I have seen two different approaches in labeling the fabric. Some quilters write the information on a piece of paper and pin it to the selvage of the piece. The amount of info depends on you.

Another method is the binder method. It is a little more involved. Some quilters cut a piece from the fabric and glue it on a binder page along with date purchased, where purchased, name and maker of fabric, and of course, how much. As the piece gets cut, the binder gets updated.

Having the binder is actually a good method when you go fabric shhopping. You'll always have the stash with you and can supplement what you have.

Hope that helps. ...and no, I don't think you're in over your head. Just plunge in and soon you'll have the quilting language down.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM

I don't label my fabrics according to size. I do however store them slightly differently by size. My fat quarters and quarter yards are folded into almost squares and stored in plastic drawers from Target. My 1/2 - 2 1/2 are folded until they are approx 11 x 4 and 3 yards and over are folded 11 x 6 (or so, I wrap them around my 6" ruler to get them all the same size) The pieces over 5 yards, or big enough for backing are folded like the 3 yard pieces but are stored in a different cabinet or in the garage in some large rubbermaid tubs. I do usually cut off a yard of my really big pieces and put them with the regular fabrics in case I want to use them in a quilt. I like having my backing size separate so I can quickly and easily look at what I have and pick what I need.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM

thanks MadQuilter that is the info. i am looking for.
so glad you understood.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 PM

thanks Jim's Gem. i like the idea of folding them by size, that way you don't have to worry about loosing the papers if they they came off.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

siss -

sorry - I misunderstood your question -

It is a good idea to know what your inventory is - after a while one does have a pretty good idea of how much is there just by looking at it.

I think some of us have a lot of different pieces and have gotten used to improvising -
Old 11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I vowed to be organized but my stash isn't. No labeling for me.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 AM

The post it size note works for me, but I also pin it with a small length dressmaker pin. I simply put width inches first then length inches (45 X36) - this keeps the numbers less confusing to read - then change the length as I use it. Of course, if I have made a length of grain cut and changed the width, I change that too.

Since I buy a fair amount of fabric from Marden's in Maine, this became a real necessity because they are generous in their measure and add several inches to every yard they cut. For those fabrics, I measure when I get it home and put the info on the label they have stapled on for the register clerk.
Since I don't do a lot of true scrap quilting, large scraps I tend to keep with the original fabric they are cut from and often am able to use them instead of cutting from the original piece.

Always interesting to see different ways we try to stay organized.