Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Labeling Pens ?

Blog Entries

Labeling Pens ?

I am not close to a place to pick up a fabric pen to use writing on a label, so I was wondering if there is anything else that will work such as a fine tip permanent marker? Need some tips on this so if I can't get one soon.

Thanks

I have found you need a specific fabric marking pen or a permanent micron pen. If you just use a Sharpie, it works, but the colors bleed and spread out, so you cant get a fine line. If you have one, just try it on a scrap of fabric. The micron pens for scrapbooking work fine though, I always heat set with my iron too.

You can buy Pigma Micron pens online and have them mailed to you. I would get a set, you will be using them for all your labels.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions. I probably could have found the pens for scrap booking, and I also need to order a set I need online to have them when I need them in the future.

You can use the Sharpie markers that you get at Staples or other office supply stores ... once you write on your fabric, then heat set it with an iron.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Many regulary gel pens will work just fine and roll smoothly over the fabric. Try a couple. set the ink with your iron (I sandwich between paper towels) and then throw your test scrap into a cup of hot water and let it sit an hour or so. That will let you know what pen will be permanent or might run.

When I write on fabric, I back it with several layers of masking tape to stablize. Works great and easier than ironning freezer paper on it.

Good luck

Oops, forgot. Squirt some dish wash soap in that cup of hot water too.

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueck View Post
    When I write on fabric, I back it with several layers of masking tape to stablize. Works great and easier than ironning freezer paper on it.
    Thanks for the tip ... I never found it to be all that stable when ironed onto freezer paper. That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to a colour printer, so I can print my labels.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I use ZigWriters. They're archival, cheaper than Pigma Pens and you can get them at Wal-Mart.

Blog Entries
    I picked up a pack of 5 with different size tips at Tuesday Morning. Only $3.99. Thought that was a good price. They were actually in the scrapbooking section.