Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
labeling your quilt >

labeling your quilt

labeling your quilt

Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Cyn

Congrats on quilt! I like hand sewing it on with name and all the other info.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM

a quilt is a work of art + love--- so deserves a signature just like a painting--and no they will not remember the year and neither will you-----i like to make my work personal with a poem /story+++a care info bit is very helpfull for none sewers
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

@ Jemma...my husband says the same thing....he wants me to start labeling my quilts....he is like...its just like creating a painting....
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM

I agree. My Grandmother made me a quilt when I was young. Now that I am a quilter, I wish that she had placed a label on the back with a date and special words. Now that she is no longer with us, I wonder what she was thinking as she made it, What year did she make it? Why did she choose those colors? was the material scraps from old dresses she made? I think a poem that included the name of the block and reason would be neat too! I just want to make sure that I do it right.
So, a sharpie on muslin, use butcher paper to keep stable, or use the fusible printer paper. Do either tend to wash out? Hmmm.......
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 PM

I have an embroidery machine and I make the label from the same fabric as I use for the backing. I embroidery the name of the quilt, who it's made for, by My name, the year(s) I made it, and the city & state I live in. I use a contrasting thread or sometimes a thread that is just a couple of shades darker than the fabric. Then I stitch it onto the back of the quilt. If I am making the quilt for a specific occassion I also put that on the label. I've done labels with poems and stories, some are large. Some quilts have more than one label. The quilt I made for my mother came back to me when she passed, I passed it on to my son. I left the labels I put on it for her and added another one for my son. He loved it. I've made a lot of labels, I make them for my friends too.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 PM

I'm lucky enough to have an embroidery machine and I use it to make the labels for my quilts. The labels always include the persons name I am making it for along with my name, month/year it was finished and the city/state where I live. I do try to add something to each label to further personalize it.... for example the 101 cats quilt I made had a small kitty on the label that read "Got milk?" The spiderman quilt I made my SIL has embroidered spiderwebs on the label. If I name the quilt that will go on the label as well. The important thing is to label your quilts after all, it is your work of art.