Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Labeling your work

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randa
    Okay, so far I've heard people use their embroidery machines to make labels, or permanent marker (that I've heard isn't all that permanent). Is there any other types? Do you order labels? Wondering about hand embroidery. Or any other options?
    I only use Sharpie Markers. They were originally designed as a laundry marker, so you Mom could write your name in your underwear when you went to camp. :D

However, you MUST heat-set any marker, including Sharpies.

I use the finest tipped Sharpie and write on the front of the quilt - "K. Mills 2010" or whatever year it is/was/will be. I usually find a place on the lightest colored fabric somewhere near the center and along a seam line. I write very small.

Of course, I will put a label on the back if it's going to a show. I will sew it into the quilt on 2 sides when I'm stitching the binding on. Then there are only 2 sides left to hand stitch. I will iron small strips of WonderUnder to those edges to hold it in place until it's stitched down - no pins to stick & stab! Not that I'm worried about the quilt being stolen or anything, but if someone is willing to throw bleach on a quilt at Houston - you never can tell. I can always make another one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Before I had my embroidery machine, I did some in Cross Stitch, and I have also used a Laundry Marking pen - I think they are more permanent than some other types.
    Laundry marker on the sleeve for me, quick and easy.

I always make a label. I used to mark with a pigma pen, but found that those tended to fade after multiple washings, plus my handwriting isn't perfect. So, now, I print my labels on fabric with my ink jet printer. I iron freezer paper to the back of the fabric to stabilize it, then run through the printer. Make sure there aren't any loose threads. Here's an article on how to do it:http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/imagefabric.html . I have also taped down the freezer paper/fabric to a piece of paper and ran that through (when the piece of fabric was too small). I usually print the label on a piece of copy paper to gauge the placement before I run the fabric through the printer. Afterwards, you just iron the label to set the ink.

Oh, yes! Please use your NAME and NOT initials when you label your quilt! As many of the ladies have said...how sad when a quilt is found and no name is attached. I always add my full name, city and state, if the quilt is machine pieced, appliqued, quilted or otherwise, the name of the person who machine quilted it, and THE DATE it was finished. Also, if it is made and given to a loved one, I add their name as well. That does not mean you want the quilt stored in the attic...it just means if the quilt lasts past your life then future generations will know who made it and for whom. By all means, label your quilts. :thumbup:

After further thought and hearing that Sharpie markers fade as well as PIGMA pens, I might use my embroidery on my machine to make my labels from now on. I just got a new Husqvarna Viking 875 Quilt machine last Sat.

I have a label maker on my computer. You can write
    any thing you want on the label. I list:
    Name of quilt
    Who will receive quilt
    Date
    Person making top piece
    Person doing longarm.
    Special occasion.
    Betty Lee

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Please label. I so wish my Grandmothers had done so. I have 20+ vintage quilts made by my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother and I don't know which one made what or what year they were made.

I make my quilt labels with an inkjet printer, let the ink dry, then wash in vinegar to set before attaching to quilt. I have also printed using archival pen to make a label, but always set the ink with the vinegar. So far they have survived many washings.

I usually label the ones for the gr-grands. Made by GrannyPat,Year, who for, what occasion. The others I just put my name and year.

I label my quilts. My DH has created many artworks over the years, rarely signs and never dates them. I've told him he should. Our tastes and styles always evolve and I think it's a wonderful personal history.

Quote Originally Posted by rubia
    Do you put labels on your quilts? Why/why not? If you do, what's your favorite technique?

I want to label the quilts I give away as gifts this year... and the ones I keep. I think it's nice for people to know the name of the quilt and adds to the homemade-love of the gift.
    I label all of my quilts and so far have always used the printable fabric sheets from June Taylor. The labels are usually about 3" square. I have changed the information I put on the labels over the past year or so to include my city and state. I now have the name of the quilt, quilted and pieced by, city and state and date (for me this is usually the date I finish the quilt pre-labeling). If it is for a loved one I will put a little saying.

See attached pictures.

Earlier label
    Name:  Attachment-93768.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  49.4 KB

More recent label
    Name:  Attachment-93769.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  61.5 KB

I label mine with the name of the quilt, my name, the recipient's name, and if the block has a name, I give that too. Sometimes I add a little quotation. For my son's wedding quilt I used one I found on the internet:

True love in bloom now fills your life
    As you become husband and wife

I gave one to a friend that said:

Friends are golden threads in the quilt of life.

I've used Printed Treasures and printed them off, and I've also used my embroidery machine. At first I didn't think I would label my quilts, but then read something about documenting quilts for historical purposes. I don't think my labels will keep people from using their quilts. I do think they feel special when they receive a quilt conceived and made especially for them. Putting a label on it documents that too.

My grandmother didn't label her quilts. I realized one day that I was the only person left who would know anything about them, and so I donated them to a museum. They are such treasures, and I didn't want some future generation wondering who made them or why. We used most of her quilts, but there were a couple that were kept special.

Quote Originally Posted by crazicorn
    Do you put labels on your quilts? Why/why not? If you do, what's your favorite technique?

I want to label the quilts I give away as gifts this year... and the ones I keep. I think it's nice for people to know the name of the quilt and adds to the homemade-love of the gift.
    I label all of my quilts and so far have always used the printable fabric sheets from June Taylor. The labels are usually about 3" square. I have changed the information I put on the labels over the past year or so to include my city and state. I now have the name of the quilt, quilted and pieced by, city and state and date (for me this is usually the date I finish the quilt pre-labeling). If it is for a loved one I will put a little saying.

See attached pictures.
    Thank you for including a picture of your label. I am very new to quilting and would love to put on label on the quilt I am making for my daughter. Is June Taylor an online store?

Quote Originally Posted by EmsMom
    Thank you for including a picture of your label. I am very new to quilting and would love to put on label on the quilt I am making for my daughter. Is June Taylor an online store?
    No. Sorry, I meant June Tailor. Here is a link to the product I use. I usually buy it at Joann's.

http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...heetspack.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by crazicorn
    Quote Originally Posted by EmsMom
    No. Sorry, I meant June Tailor. Here is a link to the product I use. I usually buy it at Joann's.

http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...heetspack.aspx
    Thanks so much for the link! I am just learning something new every day.... I love this place! Have a great day and thanks again.

I love to design and print my own labels. I use the Bubble Jet products for my muslin or broadcloth, then I print my labels on my Epson Ink Jet printer...a plus since EPson inks are waterproof!

I label, with "made with love" for whomever...from Nana or Mom, or Katie .name of the pattern, even if I designed it, and the date. I use Print Shop to design it, and print it on muslin ironed to freezer paper.

I use labels that I buy from Keepsake Quilting. They come in a panel. I buy a yard and get alot of different ones. Then when I am done with a quilt I put my name and the date etc on it. I will get another panel from them soon as I see in the catalogue that there is a new one out.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats
    I use labels that I buy from Keepsake Quilting. They come in a panel. I buy a yard and get alot of different ones. Then when I am done with a quilt I put my name and the date etc on it. I will get another panel from them soon as I see in the catalogue that there is a new one out.
    Do you put freezer paper on the back of those labels? I just purchased them but am not sure how to proceed....
    Thanks!

I alway label every quilt I make - Some years down the line when I am not around the Name of the quilt/ year it was done and whom makes it special to the person who receives it ..And if your children wants akeepsake they have some record of your work and when

I cut out the one I want to use, sign it, fold the edges under and slip stitch it onto the back bottom right corner.

I make a label out of muslin and border it with some fabric from the top. My labels include a history of the quilt--where I got the pattern, where I got the fabric, for whom the quilt was intended, who quilted it and, of course, my name, the place the quilt was made and the date the quilt was finished.

Quilts are part of the family history and if family members get them, they'll be interested. I always want to know all I can know about the quilts I see. If the quilts last longer than my family, God forbid, strangers who get them may well be interested.

I think we are short-changing the future by failing to record our history and our quilts are part of that history.

Blog Entries
    HAND EMBRODIARY LABELS ARE REALLY NEAT AND YOU CAN MAKE THEM AS FANCY AS YOU WANT. THE ONE'S I HAVE DONE THIS WAY HAVE A NAME, DATE, AND YEAR. MY AUNT HAS USED THE LITTLE PIECE THAT IS USED TO TEST THE PATTERN ON IRON PATTERNS AND THEY COME OUT REALLY CUTE. I LABEL SOME QUILTS AND SOMETIMES JUST FORGET TO DO OTHERS. I WISH ON SOME OF THOSE THAT I HAD PUT LABELS ON THEM. I LIKE THE IDEA OF PUTTING A SMALL DECAL/SYMBOL ON THE QUILT THAT I READ ABOUT EARLIER ON ONE OF THE MESSAGES AND RECENTLY I HAVE STARTED TAKING PICTURES JUST TO TO KEEP ON HAND TO LOOK BACK ON THE QUILT. I HAVE AN EMBRODIARY MACHINE TOO AND WHEN I GET AROUND TO IT I AM GOING TO PURCHASE ONE OF THEIR LABEL DISC AND SEE HOW THEY WORK. RIGHT NOW I JUST PROGRAM MINE IN AND STITCH OUT THEN PLACE IT ON THE QUILT. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS NOW GONE AS FAR AS LABELING HER BACKING BEFORE SHE SANDWICHES IT TOGETHER AND THEN QUILTS.

Blog Entries
    I always put a label on my quilts. I usually name them and then include who it's for and the occasion as well as my name and the date. I did notice in a previous post that some quilters include a symbol or initial within the quilt to identify them should a quilt get lost or stolen. I have my quilts professionally quilted and an tiny angel design is hidden within her quilting. I think I'm going to ask her to include my initials as well. I'm thinking it's a good thing.

Make a label with your word processor. Cut fabric typing paper size. Iron fabric (white muslin) to shinny side of freezer paper. With dot matrix printer print label on fabric freezer paper sandwich. Remove freezer paper. Set the ink by pressing with hot iron for approx. 15 minutes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast