Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels >

Labels

Labels

Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 AM

On some of the pictures on here there are some beautiful labels on the quilts. Can you tell me how you go about making them? I am hoping to make a quilt to keep my dad warm while he undergoes chemotherapy next month and would love to put a label on it for him.

Thank you

Nicky
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 AM

I found a book last week at my LQS nothing but label transfers!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 AM

Embroidery is a nice option, but if you don't have access to that you can make a very pretty label in MS Word (including a picture), and then print it out on the printable fabric sheets. Just turn under the 4 sides and hem, or use a decorative stitch on the edges. I have a customer who documents the process of making the quilt, and includes it on a full 8 1/2 x 11 "label" on the back of every quilt!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:10 AM

At the guild mtg a gal used a patch you would use one jeans and wrote on that with a fabric pen. I embroider mine.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

i embroider my labels and have the ability to design them on my computer. however, i've seen some beautiful preprinted ones
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 AM

i don't have an embroidery machine but I like the touch it adds. So what I usually go and hunt down a coloring picture I like, scan it and then with Photoshop shrink it a bit and add some pretty words and then print it on some muslin. After that I just embroider over it in colors that match the quilt.

I am pretty sure you could use any photo program like MS Paint, but I am not familiar with that one. I have a picture so you can see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270936.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

you can print anything onto fabric- choose a picture you like- print it onto fabric- find a font you like and design your label- print it onto your picture---beautiful custom label- just make sure to pre-wash the fabric-and heat set.

or you can use permenent fabric pens to write out your label- or of course you have the option of embroidery
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 AM

I wrote a tute on the QB. You can access it by typing "making your own quilt labels" under the search option.

I just use plain old MS Word. I can add a picture as well as choose my own wording in whatever type font I want.

Very easy to do.

If it is a 'special' quilt you can also make the label into an envelope and have care instructions and documentation inside the envelope.

ali
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 AM

I have something funny/special to say about labeling your quilts...the quilt I gave to my stepson and his lovely bride for their wedding, when they were opening, the first thing he did was start looking on the back, asked him what he was doing, he said "I'm looking for the saying", asked him do you mean the label? and he said "YES!!!" So yes, the label sometimes means as much to the recipient as the quilt, especially if you personalize it with a saying or such. BTW, my heart about burst with pride that he realizes that the label is important also.