Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels >

Labels

Labels

Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I simply sign mine with my name and year using a Pigma pen in the lower left corner. That also helps me place it on the bed faster when I'm making up the bed.
I do the pigma pen signing right on the quilt, too. It shows enough to let people know who made the quilt, but it doesn't interfere with the quilt or quilting. Pigs would fly before I got a label made. I'm so happy to get a quilt done, and the pigma pen works well.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. Now if I could cross stitch, embroider, or had beautiful handwriting, my problem would be solved. Thanks to Marta and Jo for the terrific pictures. Terri, to take the time to cross stitch a label shows true talent and dedication. There are many ideas here that I want to try and I'm almost convinced that every quilt should have a label. I'll see how it goes. I do have an embroidery attachment for my machine, so I guess I'll start there--if I can figure out how to attach it and make it work. It's been awhile. Then I'll start trying the other ideas as each new project gets done.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 PM

I always label my quilts but have gifted all. I like to consider part of the quilt design. I'm on the wrong computer to show pics but they are in my folders if you want to look. My SIL is working on my regular computer. Yes, I got a virus!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 PM

I have sewnsewer2, from the board, make my labels. I just tell her what I want on it, thread color, any image and voila...one beautiful label.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:19 AM

My mother was a great quilter and when she died we got her quilts. Now we realize that she didn't label anything and we know she made all of them but no dates or labels. These will be passed on to the grandkids and I'm so sorry they won't get more of her history to go with them. PLEASE label your quilts so others will know who made them and when and for what occasion. I label all of mine now, even though I don't think they are all that wonderful, at least members of my family will know the necessary details.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 AM

I do not add a label to my quilt. Since I quilt all of my own quilts, I quilt the info right into the quilt itself. I developed a Logo using the initial of my 1st name + my last name (MRay) and add the current year.

EX. MRay_2014 When actually quilted the M is located higher. The M's last leg becomes part of the R.[ATTACH=CONFIG]478956[/ATTACH]

Sorry this is so rough I drew this using the Paint program and my 'puter's touch pad. I promise that it looks better on my quilts. LOL Anyway, this give you the idea of what I mean.

I add this after making the quilt and usually in the same thread color as the quilting thread. This makes it blend into the quilt. Sometimes quilts are stolen and this would help identify the quilt to the owner. I don't think many thieves would like to pick out the stitches. Since they are not very noticable, I point it out to the owner, so that they will know where it is located.

My feeling is that is how an artist signs their work--something readily recognized but not distracting from the painting.
Attached Thumbnails monogram.jpg  

Last edited by dray965; 06-13-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 AM

I must admit though...the real reason I quilt the info into the quilt, is because I'm lazy. This is much easier than making a label. LOL
Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 AM

Having tried the iron on labels which don't stay on for more than a year, I found someone on this forum that embroiders labels on muslin. The price is fantastic and she does a great job of giving you choices through email to choose from. She's also very speedy. If interested, I will be more than happy to provide you with her email. Just pm me.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478959[/ATTACH]

Please, please put a label on all your quilts.

My Mother quilted and most of her's didn't have labels. So I made and sewed them on the quilts.
Also, aquired an older quilt with no label. Makes me sad to think someone's handquilted quilt came with no info. Ended up making a label telling how I got it.

I don't have a machine that does embroidery. So I print a label on the computer, then trace the letters onto the fabric. Once that's done, it's hand embroidered.
Attached Thumbnails img_3900.jpg  

Last edited by HillCountryGal; 06-13-2014 at 06:49 AM. Reason: to add photo
Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
Here are pics of labels I put on my recently-completed quilt for a family wedding. There was a lot of interest in the labels in the forum. On page 4 I gave details of how I do these. And I agree with a previous post here, I believe the dry, hot iron on the well saturated, dried inks is key as mine don't seem to be fading over time (years).

I also very much like that these labels are quite affordable compared to numerous other special fabrics, inks, etc.

The wedding quilt forum is under Pictures: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t248199.html

And here are pics of the labels (color shift is due to flash on / off ... the lighter is the true color).

Hope this helps. ~ Jo
I LOVE your label, I am saving the idea for the table toppers I am working on for a friend. She has some aprons from her mom who passed several years ago and we decided on table toppers for her two daughters and three grand daughters in memory.