Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels >

Labels

Labels

Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 PM

I haven't but I attended a quilt workshop on labels and came home with the idea to get started. I thought I would remember dates, etc., but I have no idea. My son asked me the other day, Did you do that? My mouth just dropped. I wish I had labels completed. Maybe it doesn't matter but it mattered to me when he made that comment.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM

I've started making my own though I do have some small simple ones as well. I like the flexibility of making my own since I can use fabric from the quilt top and [ATTACH=CONFIG]479032[/ATTACH] mbroider an appropriate motif/verse and message. I back my labels with batting making them mini quilts in their own right.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 PM

WOW! I'm convinced. I've been thinking about an approach for various kinds of labels to match the quilts for different purposes, since there are so many wonderful suggestions to try. Or maybe just try to come up with some kind of "signature label" like may of you seem to have. Also maybe a combination of techniques so I can do some ahead of time, such as embroider some frames then use a pigma pen to fill in when I'm in a hurry. (charity quilts sometimes have a deadline, i'm rushing to meet). But what fun to try all this. Thanks EVERYONE.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:39 PM

I was looking to see how other ladies 'make their quilt labels'. for years I have purchased specially prepared sheets of material adhered to paper. put it thru the printer and peel the paper off. they never fade. 10 yrs later, and with weekly washings, some of my quilts have labels that still look great. what do we pre-treat material with , if we want to print directly onto material of our own. does anyone know?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I labeled ONE quilt that I gave as a wedding present. I did the printed ink kind but they've told me that since they use (and wash) that quilt a lot the label has faded so much it's illegible now. So no more printed ink labels for me!

I have an embroidery machine but so far haven't done the work to design quilt labels on it. Not really sure how to even do that. So far I've just used it to stitch out images from files I've purchased, haven't done any design on my own and probably don't have the right software for it.

I have been snooping around online to see how much it'd cost to get some very simple labels professionally made for me, but so far it's way too expensive considering this is just a hobby. Most have minimum orders of several hundred labels, and unless they're ridiculously expensive, they're tiny little tags like you'd put in a shirt or stitch into a stuffed animal. I want something larger, at least 2x3 inches.

My newest idea is just creating label fabric for myself on Spoonflower; so far that seems the most cost effective way to get labels I'll like, in amounts that make sense. I'm thinking of something that has my basic info (name, location) and a little slogan, a nice printed border, and space for me to add things like year & who it's for with a Pigma pen. I would do a variety, some baby quilt sized, some larger, some masculine, some feminine...if I size them right I can just order fat quarters so I could do a whole bunch of different varieties as separate fabrics and just order what I need. In fact, I think I just talked myself the rest of the way into going this route, LOL.
What kind of a machine do you have? Does it have fonts programmed in? It should be easy to spell out anything you want and even add a decoration to it.