Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labyrinth Quilt - Crying in my pieces >

Labyrinth Quilt - Crying in my pieces

Labyrinth Quilt - Crying in my pieces

Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Default Labyrinth Quilt - Crying in my pieces

It's me again. I've taken several of your suggestions. I have taken the quilt apart and ironed the pieces. My next question is how to accurately cut these pieces to the same size. I'm assuming all the pieces have to be cut back the same amount like 1/4". However, I have triangles that have been sewn together to make a square. How do I go about cutting these down to the same size as the plain blocks? Also, I have many different size pieces. For example - 4 1/4x 23 and 4 1/4 by 11, etc. What do I do with these pieces? As you can tell, I've never had to recut a quilt. HELP

Also, I want to thank all of you that gave me advice the other day. I was so shocked to get so much help. I was so delighted. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 AM

I use my 45 degree line on my ruler to line up on the seam of my HSTs when I need to trim them down - yes, I trim all 4 sides the same amount and by using the 45 degree line, it keeps the HSTs in the proper proportion. I do the sides where the 45 degree line is on the seam line first, then do the other sides because I can then use the already cut edges to line up on the lines of the ruler.

I have never had to recut a quilt either, but I do like to make my HSTs a little larger so I can trim them down to perfection! Good luck on this project. I want to make a labyrinth quilt too - they look so cool!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Hi - I'm sure you'll get much better information/direction than what I can give you. I made that quilt as the first top I ever pieced. What I would suggest doing is separating your pieces by size - measuring them, marking each stack. Then figure out from the pattern instructions/directions what is mis-cut. I laid mine out on the bed after I got everything cut out - yes it looked like i'd mis-cut some but they sewed up exactly. Good Luck - it's a beautiful quilt pattern.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM

Okay you said that the strips are 4-1/4 inch wide. How wide should they be? If they were to be 4-1/2 inches fininshed then every thing should be trimmed down to 4 inches. The half square triangles can be trimmed to 4 inches as well. Now if you want the rest of the quilt to match it would mean a half inch decrease on all pieces. I would be happy to recut this for you if you like! Let me know! Luann in CT
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Farm Quilter, you need to trim all 4 sides of the HSTs. Get a square ruler and place the 45 degree line on the seam. Trim 2 sides square removing the least amount of fabric you can. Then rotate the ruler 180, place the 45 degree line on the seam and the already trimmed sides on the ruler marking for the size block you need. Trim the final 2 sides.
I would go to youtube, put in "square up quilt" in the search box and view the videos.
Also, you might want to take the time to repress the pieces using a heavy dose of spray starch. Remember, PRESS, not iron! Do this before you trim.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Crying in my pieces

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
Okay you said that the strips are 4-1/4 inch wide. How wide should they be? If they were to be 4-1/2 inches fininshed then every thing should be trimmed down to 4 inches. The half square triangles can be trimmed to 4 inches as well. Now if you want the rest of the quilt to match it would mean a half inch decrease on all pieces. I would be happy to recut this for you if you like! Let me know! Luann in CT

Oh my gosh. Would you really recut it for me. I would be so greatful. Give me your address and I will package it up with the instructions and guide. Oh my gosh. What a wonderful lady you are.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post

There were no strips. I never thought of cutting strips. Some of the pieces were cut 4 1/4 and some 4 5/8. I can't believe I didn't think of cutting the strips first and then cutting the length. It HAS been a long time....... LOLNo wonder it ended up a mess. I'm still laughing at my stupidity.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I agree with Farm Quilter, you need to trim all 4 sides of the HSTs. Get a square ruler and place the 45 degree line on the seam. Trim 2 sides square removing the least amount of fabric you can. Then rotate the ruler 180, place the 45 degree line on the seam and the already trimmed sides on the ruler marking for the size block you need. Trim the final 2 sides.

I would go to youtube, put in "square up quilt" in the search box and view the videos.

Also, you might want to take the time to repress the pieces using a heavy dose of spray starch. Remember, PRESS, not iron! Do this before you trim.
I've got sooooooo much to learn, but I love to quilt and will continue forward. C H A R G E!!! I don't have a square ruler, but will purchase one. Also, I will watch the videos on youtube. Thanks for your help. I will let you all know how the quilt turns out. I sure hope I can salvage it.