Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ladder for quilts

Blog Entries

ladder for quilts

Found an old ladder that I am going to clean up and then put quilts on the rungs. Should I seal the ladder with a varnish or something? Should I put a cotton cloth over the rungs before adding the quilts? Thanks for any information!!

I have a folding three section quilt rack. It feels like there is a thin coat of something over the stain wood but I don't think it is varnish.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I would say yes and also put a cotton sleeve over before putting quilt on. I have those wooden shelf/rod things in each bedroom for quilts and I have a cotton sleeve over the rod.....I also have an extra bedroom..the door is always open, so I put a towel over the door top and laid a quilt over the door....got idea from a friend........

I have 3 ladders I use, a large one and two bunk bed ladders. MrJanRn finished them with a clear coat of poly and then I put a small hand towel on the rungs before adding the quilts. Just want to be safe.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

i have an old ladder def shabby bc it was well-used and did not put anything over the rungs. I'm now thinking i should! I will say its a great way to display the quilts unless you have modern/contemporary decor...and then something like the bunk bed ladders would look much sleeker/better than an old chippy ladder.
    mea

You could make a sleeve type cover with velcro to close the "seam" (to cover the rung). Maybe pad it with batting? Or is that overkill??!! I read somewhere that you have to be careful what you put on the ladder for a finish if you are going to hang quilts.

Blog Entries
    Get a pool noodle and cut it to size, then cut a slit lengthwise so you can slide it over the rung. Not only will this protect your quilt from the wood, it will also help protect it from getting any permanent lines or creases from being hung.

Peckish you are so smart!��

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    Peckish you are so smart!��
    Awww, thanks! Will you please tell that to my husband and kids??

That is such a good idea Peckish! They are in the dollar stores now for summer time, get them while you can.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Hang a hanky size of rug gripper on the rung before the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Get a pool noodle and cut it to size, then cut a slit lengthwise so you can slide it over the rung. Not only will this protect your quilt from the wood, it will also help protect it from getting any permanent lines or creases from being hung.
    Great idea!!

Blog Entries
    the pool noodles work great on hangers also cut to size and cut long enough that they do not turn...I use them for the backs or pieced tops, that are waiting to be layered and quilted.

I use an old ladder to display quilts and I put the plastic tubing over the rungs that is meant to cover a shower curtain rod. You can cut it to fit the rungs as needed. The tubing is very inexpensive and readily available at Walmart, K-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

shy
    We will all have different opinions for sure ..here is mine my husband made me a ladder ..looks like the old step ladders with doles for the steps..I stain it ..let it dry for a week..I have had it in my front room for 15 years..it doesn't have a finish other than the stain ..no sleeves on the doles or steps..I have never had a problem with it in any way..

Power Poster
    I have one that I sealed with polyurethane...

Blog Entries
    Such a clever idea, Peckish, and I'm glad you posted it.

What a good idea Peckish! You can even cut them a little shorter so you don't have blue, or whatever color, peeking out the end of the quilt.
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by sewvic View Post
    I use an old ladder to display quilts and I put the plastic tubing over the rungs that is meant to cover a shower curtain rod. You can cut it to fit the rungs as needed. The tubing is very inexpensive and readily available at Walmart, K-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
    Another great idea!
    Save the Earth!

Itís the only planet with Chocolate.