Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Making A Quilt Ladder To Display My Quilts

Making A Quilt Ladder To Display My Quilts

I was looking at quilt ladders because I really, really want one and I found these instructions. I'm trying to talk my daughter into making it with me. I told her we could make two, one for each of us.

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2013/1...et-ladder.html

Has anyone here ever made their own quilt ladder? I would love to see a picture.

I bought more of a tri-folding quilt rack that I used when I did shows. I briefly scan the post and it doesn't look too hard if you have used tools before. The template for drilling the holes is excellent idea so you pegs will be straight but I have never drilled holes that big. Might need some muscle to help you with that.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Just remember to cover those rungs with something before you lay a quilts over it......

This is an easier version, probably not as sturdy but could be done without fancy tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zth6WcNufus

This is the little "ladder" that DH made. It was originally made to hold our DD's multitude of shampoos etc beside the bathroom sink. After she moved out it became a dust collector and it got a new life in the guest bedroom. Name:  quilt ladder001_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 1715
Size:  18.9 KBName:  quilt ladder002 (Small).JPG
Views: 1722
Size:  33.3 KB

Blog Entries
    that's a clever idea
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Great idea!

shy
    That one is very much like the one hubby made me..only he added another board on each side..so the dole holes are not seen..I would post a picture..but it is full of quilts..so u really do not see much of the ladder..I comment one day when I went to work..I wanted one of these ..show him a picture..was really happy with my surprise when I got home..he isn't much on surprise..so it was a double nice surprise..I love mine..I have it in a corner of my front room..people always comment on it..again it is one of my favorite things..u will love it.

shy
    I just notice the comment about cover the rungs..I have used mine for 7 years..I have never cover the rungs and have never had a problem...I just stain mine..I did not varnish it..I let the stain dry for a couple days..it has been fine..I do suggest u turn the quilts every few months..and keep them away from a sunny location..the window sun day after day well fade them..my friend found out the hard way..

The rungs on mine are varnished and has been in use about 8 years with no problem. You do need to take the quilts off and refold regularly though or they get stretched on the folds. But they get like that from being on my regular quilt rack as well.

Have not made this ladder (did one for my pots and pans with my dad). The tute looks good, you should have no problems (they did it like we did, only we didn't have any directions only an idea). My dad is gone and so are the cast iron pots and pans, but I still have my little ladder and my memories and I love every one of them. You and your daughter will have so much fun, do it and enjoy.

Blog Entries

Red face

*** you can use the round rungs on either ladder by just nailing through the side instead of on the front.
    *** you can also use the felt or rubber pads (at top) to protect wall & (at bottom) to protect floor.

*** then there is no need to angle the side piece (legs).
    *** On my TO-DO-LIST.
    Last edited by jbj137; 03-25-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Nice job, love the idea!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

My DH took the side rails from a crib and put a rod through them formaing an A frame. Just a couple of wing nuts and I can take it down as need to. These cribs can not be used for babies any more because the sides went up and down. Their loss my gain.
    Caren.