Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laminated fabrics - have you bought any? >

Laminated fabrics - have you bought any?

Laminated fabrics - have you bought any?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 PM

I haven't bought any of this laminated fabric but think it would be great for an outdoor placemats, reusable bags, lunch bags, etc.

I would want it to be crease free, so if it was ordered online it would have to come in a shipping tube. I don't think most retailers would send it that way.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

USPS has (free) Priority Mailing Tubes but they are only 38" long. The fabric is 44" wide (I think) so it won't fit. To buy a 45" long mailing tube with an inside diameter of 4" - because how tightly are you going to be able to roll the fabric anyway - costs about $3. A 48" x 4" x 4" box costs about $1.30. But... add a LOT for freight charges to get those boxes delivered to your shop! And then, being oversized, it will cost more to ship to your customer, too.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 AM

I bought some moda stuff from a LQS. It was a christmas fabric that was laminated. I used it to make placemats as they are easier to clean. My mom bought some not to long ago to make a shopping bag with from a different LQS. I don't think it is 44" though. It did come on the roll but it's not super stiff so folding it to take home was not bad. Mine is rolled up now but it was folded when i left the store.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 AM

I have looked at it several times, didn't by because of the cost. I thought of a tablecloth and lunch bags.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 AM

I have seen it in a magazine once and wondered about it. our lqs doesn't have it and i don't remember seeing it at joanns so i will look. is it strong enough to use for upholstry. that was what i was thinking about because it would be so scrubbable- i was thinking about for our camper. any thoughts? and wow! I just noticed- I have one hectic work week and have lost my regular status. whatever- I only post when i really have something to say. no one worders here.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

i've used laminated fabrics for picnic table clothes, tote bags- and kids placemat/table sets.
the creases disappeared - the table cloth one was folded (bought it online, came folded in a box)
i made the table cloth- and put it on the table in a short time the creases had flattened- and it is fine. i fold it when i put it away- when i get it out i smooth it and shortly it is flat.
i've not had any crease problems for any projects...but the creases were not (pressed in) only lightly folded.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 AM

I found a fabulous Kaffe Fassett laminate fabric ... I was SO excited to make a rain slicker out of it... but there was not enough yardage on the roll. I was and still am quite bummed about it. I have looked and looked for the same but it seems this will be a quest that goes on ... and on.
With that being said ... yes I would buy ... and if by some chance you ever decide to carry the Kaffe line of laminates .. I will be at your door when when the truck comes in!!! I thought the Kaffe was perfect so I would not look like I was wearing the table cloth!!!
I would suggest you purchase a yard or two and fold it up and put it in a box , leave it for a few days to see what happens. I would think the manufacture has a recommended method for removing creases. If you enclosed that with the laminate so the buyer would not be left to guess which method is best to get out the shipping crease that would work.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM

PUL = polyurethane laminate

I used PUL to make nappies for my son. I'm glad to see more laminated fabrics. They're great for making all things baby, and when I did it, I was stuck with plain old boring pastels from Joann's!

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
JoAnns also has some PUL fabrics - I forget exactly what the PUL is an acronym for. They are also "coated" fabrics, but they are typically knit cloth as opposed to woven.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:39 AM

Can't remember who I purchased it from, but I bought laminate fabric two years ago in the Dick and Jane line. It was really cute! I made a little girl's raincoat. Also got a cute Michael Miller brown floral too. They came rolled on big cardboard tubes--hence no wrinkles!Have thought about making a lunch tote out of it.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I used them to make a replacement seat cover for a high chair and it worked find, but my daughther has found that she should have just wiped it rather than using the washer since the laminate has cracked and separated from the cotton.