Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lancaster PA in October!!!  Yeah!!!! >

Lancaster PA in October!!! Yeah!!!!

Lancaster PA in October!!! Yeah!!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Lancaster PA in October!!! Yeah!!!!

Oh yeah, I am finally getting to Lancaster PA. For years (decades) I lived within an hour of the Amish, but we never went there. But now in mid October we are going for 3 days. Quilting overload - here I come. My DH and I are going to meet my best friend from NH one of the days. (Non quilting friend), they are staying in the Poconos. I have on my must list: Zooks, Quilt Shack, Quilt Museum, Family Farm Quilts, Lens Mills. My DH loves Pawn Shops, so I am sure we can find some, and gun shops. How about thrift stores in the area, are there any that you all can recommend? And most of all FOOD for my patient DH. He doesn't like buffets, but home cooking and comfort food he loves. Suggest for fueling this wonderful DH? And any other quilt stores I have to see? What are your favorites? And the reasons. Also, have any of my QB friends used an Amish hand quilter to finish a quilt top? I have so many questions, I am soooooo
excited...... Oh my, I only have 2 nights and 3 days.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Burkholder's is my favorite fabric store but is not in that same area as Zooks. The Old Country Store is down the street from Zooks and is a nice shop.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Sounds like a fun time. I am going there myself with friends in Sept. We are going to see a play called "The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club." Based on the book by the same name. Then 2 days of hitting the quilt shops and just enjoying BFFs company. Hope you have an awesome time....
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Welcome to PA. New Holland ,Main St, Route 23 has a wonderful Thrift shop. It used to be a furniture store, large roomy and 2 floors. Great prices. Good food at the Hollander Restaurant, just a little east of thrift store, beside Comfort Inn. Have fun, it is a great place for a few days off of your regular routine. Ruth
Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM

I hope to go in May. My daughter lived in Maryland until 2012 and we had planned on going to Lancaster after one of our trips. But she moved so I'm hoping we can get there sometime in May.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:52 PM

The Amish have hand quilted several quilts for me. They charged by the amount of thread they used. :-) They also squared them up. The only drawback was they insisted on using their own batting. It was polyester and I prefer Warm and Natural. The reason for the poly was that the needle went through more easily. The quilting is beautiful.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Pick up the little yellow map/flyer that is free at most places. It has most of the good places marked. If you are north on 897, go to Shady Maple Restaurant towards 23. He will not be disappointed at this smorgasbord because it is fantastic, about $10.83 for lunch and $16 - $21 for dinner, plus a Sr. discount. Right below that is a store "Goods"
and they have some cuts of fabric, good pieces, at about $3.59 per yard. Then close to them is the Family Farm Quit shop at the intersection of 23. If you get the little map you will be safe. It shows connecting roads. Good luck. Also, the Pa. National Quilt Extravaganza is in Oaks, Pa. Sept. 19 - 22. That is usually a wonderful show. It is near Valley Forge Exit off the Pa. turnpike just off rt. 422. Hope you can make it.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 AM

I would also recommend The Fabric Shack. It's only a bit down the street from where Zooks/Old Country/etc. are located. They have the absolutely BEST and LARGEST selection of flannel fabrics I have ever seen anywhere. Prices are great. They have tons of other fabrics as well but, as I say, the flannels are awesome. It's an older house and entire (what looks as though it used to be 2 rooms) are FULL of nothing but flannel. All high quality. Even if you're not in the market for flannel you really just have to go there to pet them...they are that yummy.